Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2005, 08:00 PM
    1990 Civic won't start
    I have a 1990 Honda Civic that stopped working out of the blue...

Symptoms:
    - engine turns/cranks
    - engine will not turn over/fire

Checks and changes:
    - changed spark plugs
    - changed rotar and dist. cap
    - changed air filter
    - changed starter
    - changed fuel filter
    - changed fuel injectors
    - changed main relay
    - getting sparks
    - getting fuel all the way to the fuel injector
    - single blink on ECU

Don't know what else to check or change? I think I may have a bad ground, but don't know how/where to check...

Any ideas?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2005, 08:24 PM
    My first thought was a broken timing belt, but I don't think you would get spark if it was. Try turning the engine over until the timing mark on the vibration damper is lined up with 0 degrees. Then take the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is pointing to #1 or #4. If not, the timing belt may have slipped. If so, may as well replace it while you have things apart.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Yes true it souns like the belt

Mar 11, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Thanks labman...

Where is the vibration damper? And how can I tell it's lined up with 0 degrees.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 12, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Sounds like your timing is off. My reasoning is like this: you are getting both fuel and spark, your main relay is working fine so that wouldn't stop the car from starting, so the only thing left to do is ignite the fuel at the right time.

There is a white mark on the Crankshaft Pulley. When the mark is pointing up, it means that first cylinder is at TDC. Put the car in 4th or 5th gear and have someone push it until you can see the mark, or if you can lift the car up in the air, put it in gear and rotate the wheels until you can see the mark. Now if you take the top valve cover off, you will see Camshaft Pulley, which has the word "UP" written on it. When the first cylinder is in TDC the camshaft pulley's "UP" mark should be pointing up or down, but not anywhere else. If it's not the case, your timing belt has slipped a tooth (or more).

If you have a timing gun, do inspect your timing.

Have you checked the Igniter Unit inside your distributor? You have a procedure how to check it in the other post in this forum, titled "Sparkless & In The Snow" or something like that. It is known that if your car has problems starting - it could very well be the main relay or the igniter unit.

Mar 12, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Thanks CroCivic91...

I will try troubleshooting the timing.

I'm getting sparks so could I still have a bad igniter? I will try the tests on the ingniter.

Any thoughts about a possible bad ground?

I'm also curious as to why I'm not smelling any gas after having cranked my engine over and over? It's almost like my fuel injectors are not injecting, but I've changed the lower injector already and the main relay...

Thanks very much for the feed back!!
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2005, 07:32 AM
    I am happy CroCivic gave more detailed instructions. It helps having somebody that has a Honda. I have to work from my general knowledge of cars. What he called the crankshaft pulley is what I meant when I used the name vibration damper. They are marked, and there should be a timing scale mounted on the engine near the top of the pulley. The spark timing can also be off, but I doubt it would have happened suddenly, unless the distributor is loose. It is adjusted by turning the distributor.

A final check of the fuel injector is to pull it loose, point it where spraying gas won't hurt, and crank the engine. If gas doesn't squirt out, you have a problem with the fuel delivery.

I doubt the problem is the ground. It never hurts to make sure it is OK. Follow the negative cable from the battery to where it bolts to the body or engine. There should also be a cable from the body to the engine. You can remove all the bolts and sand or wire brush any corrosion or other crud you find on the connections.

Mar 12, 2005, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyhondas
    I'm getting sparks so could i still have a bad igniter? I will try the tests on the ingniter.
    Hm, you are right... if you are getting sparks then igniter unit should be working all right, since the diagram is something like this:
    Igniter unit->ignition coil->rotor->spark plugs
    So I guess no need to try that.

Any thoughts about a possible bad ground?
    I'm not really familiar much with grounding stuff, but I would definitely believe labman and do as he said.

I'm also curious as to why i'm not smelling any gas after having cranked my engine over and over? It's almost like my fuel injectors are not injecting, but I've changed the lower injector already and the main relay...
    Oh, I guess you have the DX type of Civic... it only has 2 injectors... the lower one you replaced is only an AUXILIARY injector... I'm not sure when it delivers gas, perhaps when the throttle is wide open, or perhaps until the engine heats up... the upper injector is the Main Injector. You can test the injectors this way: disconnect the 2 pin electric connector from them, and measure resistance between the two terminals on the injector (not the connector). Main injector should have 0.6 - 1.6 ohms, and auxiliary should have 6 - 10 ohms. If resistance is out of range, you should replace the injector.

Since you already replaced the aux injector, you know how it's done, so testing the main one labman's way would not be hard and I do suggest you try it.

Mar 12, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Now if you take the top valve cover off, you will see Camshaft Pulley, which has the word "UP" written on it.
    Holy crap, sorry for this, I messed up. I wanted to say: take the top timing belt cover off! UGH!

Valve cover has nothing to do with this. When you look at your engine, you will see valve cover in the middle, distributor on the left, and timing belt cover on the right. Timing belt cover is made of 2 pieces and you should only take the top one off. Do not remove the valve cover - no need to do that.

Mar 12, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to provide all the great feedback CroCivic/labman...

I have already tested both injectors and they are both within range.

I've tested the main relay (using the test procedures in the manual) and all is well, I can hear/feel the main relay clicking when I turn the ignition switch.

My next steps will be to verify:

- timing belt
    - grounds

The reason I'm suspecting a bad ground is when I had to boost my battery, I connected the black booster cable to the ground on my engine block and I wasn't getting a proper boost (weak). After I giggled the ground connection, I was able to get a proper (strong) boost. A friend of a friend also had starting problems and when he brought it into a shop, they basically replaced everything under the hood only to discover he had a bad ground.

Anyway, will get in the garage later tonight for some more troubleshooting...

Will keep you all posted...
    blakeyjr99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
    Honda 90 won't start
    Try checking timing and if that don't work try on all grounds for corrsion or not connected. Try check around battery and the starter. There should be 3 cables that come down from the starter the battery for a direct connect and the ground should go to the frame :cool:

Mar 18, 2005, 03:54 PM
    My civic has risen from it's grave...

Many Thanks to Jlo for the countless hours on the phone, internet and under the hood!! Also to everyone online for the great feedback!!

The problem ended up being "timing". We were able to get the civic running by adjusting the position of distributor assembly.

For someone's future reference, here's how we figured it out.
    - we got the Number One piston to the highest position in the shaft
    - we checked the rotor's alignment with the distributer cap, the alignment was off
    - we rotated the distributor assembly to align the rotor with the dist cap

The civic is now starting but I'm now having the following issues...
    - starts but then stops
    - idles erratically i.e. surges and idles fast

Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2005, 04:47 PM
    You may not have the timing exactly right. There should be a decal under the hood somewhere with tune up specifications. It should be some like 4 degrees BTDC at 400 RPM. Usually if the distributor has a vacuum advance, you disconnect it and plug the hose to the engine. You then connect a timing light to #1 spark plug, and shine it on the scale by the crankshaft pulley. Watch the belts. Then you turn the distributor a little to get exactly the specified timing.

Mar 18, 2005, 04:53 PM
    Woot! Nice thing you got it started.

Erratic idle is something that happens all the time with 4th gen Civic/CRX and many different things worked for different people.

For example: my idle used to be a bit low, and the car used to shake. After I replaced the fuel filter it disappeared.

Then my idle started to stay high after stopping at a red light. Cleaning the throttle body and getting some grease "in" the throttle cable solved that.

Also, getting a new Oxygen sensor really improved how the car felt while driving. Acceleration was much smoother, idles perfect and so on.

Some people (including a friend of mine) found cleaning the EACV to be helpful and sorted their idle.

On a side note, I believe timing on our Civic should be set to something like 16-18 BTDC.

Edit: I just checked: timing should be set to 18+-2 at 780rpm (idle rpm).

Mar 21, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Update...

Took the civic on the road today and here's what's happened.

- no problem with initial starting
    - if car is stopped and left lidling, car will suddenly cut out in 1 or 2 minutes
    - when driving, car will jerk every so often like it's cutting out
    - when and if car stalls, car will not start easily i.e. must crank for 10-20 secs with accelerator pedal down.
    - can sometimes save the car if I step on the accelerator before it cuts out
    - accelerator often slow to react
    - no codes on ECU (ECU blinks every 4 seconds)

Could a bad fuel pump filter be causing this?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2005, 09:57 PM
    May be water in the gas or a clogged filter. If its water you could try some rubbing alcohol, you know the clear stuff. That and some fuel injector cleaner. If it's the filter you should see if it is and change if need be

Mar 22, 2005, 06:16 AM
    With all the symptoms you said here I can safely say that your Oxygen Sensor is faulty. First of all, if it blinks once every 4 seconds, it means that it is an error code 1 - which means Oxygen Sensor. Next, I had the "slow to react to acceleration" and "will jerk constantly while driving" symptoms on my Civic and replacing the Oxygen Sensor really smoothened the ride, and both of those problems were gone. Also, stepping on the gas pedal usually stopped my car from dying while on red light.

I'm positive this is an Oxygen Sensor issue.

Mar 22, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Thanks Crocivic!!

I will change when I have a chance and let you know...

Mar 22, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Do let me know... I'm quite curious about Civic problems :)

Mar 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Installed a new (used) O2 sensor. Cleared the error code from the ECU and I'm not getting the error code any more i.e. one blink when civic is started and no other blinks afterwards.

Engine is still cutting out when stopped and idling... the civic gets more difficult to start after each time it stalls.

Just noticed that even pressing on the accelerator when the engine is about to die only saves it sometimes.

I will check the filter on the fuel pump next.

Thoughts..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Civic fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a 1990 Honda Civic to run. I am looking at the fuse panel under the stearing wheel. There is no cover. I am missing 6 different fuses. I think one of them might be to the fuel pump. Can any one tell me what amp fues goes in each slot, and which one goes to the fuel pump?? Where...

1990 civic won't fire [ 3 Answers ]

HI: My 1990 honda civic would have the battery light on occasionally for a few minutes... figured the alternator was going bad. Then a couple of weeks later the headlights started surging to some degree. I figured the voltage regulator was ready to go... then I was at a light and the car started...

1990 Honda Civic won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am totally stumped with this, I have a 1990 Honda Civic with a 1989 Acura Integra Engine in it (Engine Swap), and it won't start. Nothing works, the lights, the radio, hazards, defogger absolutely nothing. Of course your thinking the battery is dead but I checked the battery and it...

1990 Honda Civic DX [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my problem: My engine starts and idles fine. Under acceleration it accelerates up to about 2500 rpm, then the ignition cuts off. When you shift gears you can run it back up to about 2500 rpm again, then it cuts out again. This occurs through all the gears. The check engine light stays on...

1990 CRX no start, read the FAQ's... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here we go…. 1990 CRX DX 1.5 Manual Trans, Canada Driving to work the other morning, came to a stop and my 1990 CRX quit. I tried to re-start but it would not fire. Rolls over just fine but not even a hint of starting. Got it back home and broke out the Honda manual.. Yes, I have the...

View more questions Search