Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vapolar09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Adoption of my sister
    My name is Amanda I am 18 years old. My sister is almost 17 years old. Our parents are not the best parents in the world. Our father is abusive and control freak. My mother just goes along with whatever he says and does. I would like to know if there is anyway that I could become her legal guardian? If there is anyway possible could some one please help and let me know how to do it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
    I will assume you don't live at home but have you own place.

But to be honest it is going to be expensive, and take a while, If the father is abusive, she needs to call the police or child protective service.

Most likely it would almost take you the next year to get it, and cost 1000's.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
    And she will be 18 by the time you get custody, so it is not worth it.

If your father or mother start to hurt her, she should call the cops.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Are you emancipated and living on your own? Are you finished with high school and have a viable means of support? If so, then you can petition the court to grant your guardianship of your sister. Be prepared to show why she'd be better off with you than with your parents. You may need the help of an attorney or social services agency.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 04:41 PM
    If he is abusive, if even verbally abusive you can call CPS to have the home and your sister evaluated. If he is shown to not be abusive, your attempts at custody can backfire on you. You will need documented proof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sister needs help [ 8 Answers ]

I have a sister she is 15 years old and has a really bad eating disorder. She is throwing up her food. I don't know what to do. I haven't went to my parents because I don't want to tell on her. What do you think I should do?

Adoption [ 7 Answers ]

I am 14 years old and I am adopted. I get nervous when I talk about it. What should I do to not be so nervous?

Sister Sister [ 3 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined I have this problem with my older sister.She's 16 and I'm 11 going on 12.I'm her step-sister(we have different moms)and this is her first time visiting here in 4 years so she doesn't know anybody.Lately we've been arguing about different stuff cause that's what...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a forum that deals with adoption law? Or can anyone here answer what I think is a simple question on the subject?

View more questions Search