Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memegeorge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Diabetic health
    Crazy diabetic reaction... sugar levels soar and then bottom out... anyone know the reason for not being able to regulate it better or why the body does this?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 8, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Causes of Diabetes

I hope the link above helps. There is a lot of information on diabetes, but don't know if anyone really knows the reasons...

Keep in touch.

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by memegeorge
    Crazy diabetic reaction...sugar levels soar and then bottom out...anyone know the reason for not being able to regulate it better or why the body does this?
    Are you an insulin dependent diabetic?
    If so, you should consult your doctor as sometimes the dosage may need to be changed to fit your changing lifestyle and needs.

Sometimes stress could be a factor too.
    Until a health expert could answer here is an article for you to read.
    Please click link to read the rest of the article.

------------------------------------
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/4-sy...-meal-planning
    4 Systems for Diabetes Meal Planning
    Meal plans can help you eat a balanced diabetes diet. It's the natural way to manage your blood sugar levels.
    By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD

If you've got diabetes, the right meal plan can help you keep blood sugar under control. Fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products -- even sweets now and then -- all have a place in your plan.

"A meal plan provides a specific approach to controlling blood sugar," says Dianne Davis, RD, LDN, CDE, a dietitian with the Vanderbilt Eskind Diabetes Center in Nashville, Tenn. "If you have diabetes, a meal plan is necessary."

That's because a meal plan helps ensure you eat a balanced diet high in fiber and low in fats. It can also "help you lose weight, by controlling portion sizes and calories," Davis says.
    Which Diabetes Meal Plan Is Right for You?

Your lifestyle and the type of diabetes treatment you're getting -- whether you're taking premeal insulin or not -- will determine the type of meal plan best for you, says Davis.

Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are all factored into a plan. But carbs are an especially important component since they have the biggest impact on blood sugar.

"Your meal plan can also include your favorite foods," Davis adds. "No food is off-limits -- it's a matter of how much you eat, when you eat it, and what it will do to your blood sugar."

With that in mind -- and understanding you should talk with your doctor before making big changes in your diabetes diet -- here are four meal-planning systems.
    The Diabetes Food Pyramid

The diabetes food pyramid is similar to the USDA food pyramid you see on food labels. It is a pyramid in which a healthy diet means eating more grains, fruits, and vegetables, and less meat, sweets, and fats.

The diabetes food pyramid's general recommendations are:
    Grains, beans, and starchy vegetables: 6 or more servings/day. One serving: 1 slice bread; 1/2 small bagel; 1/2 cup cooked cereal, pasta, rice; 3/4 cup ready-to-eat cereal; 1/2 cup cooked beans, corn, peas.
    Fruits: 2-4 servings daily. One serving: 1 medium-size fresh fruit; 1/2 cup canned fruit; 1/2 cup fruit juice.
    Vegetables: 3-5 servings a day. One serving: 1 cup raw vegetable; 1/2 cup vegetable juice.
    Meat, Fish, Cheese: 2-3 servings/day. One serving: 2-3 ounces cooked lean meat, skinless poultry, or fish; I egg; 2 tablespoons peanut butter; 2-3 ounces cheese.
    Milk and Yogurt: 2-3 servings daily. One serving: 1 cup (8 ounces) milk or yogurt.
    Fats, Sweets, and Alcohol: eat these in small amounts. One serving: 1 teaspoon butter, margarine, or mayonnaise; 1 tablespoon cream cheese or salad dressing; 1/2 cup ice cream.

Combined foods, like eggplant lasagna, for example, will include servings from several food groups (1 vegetable, 1 meat, 1 fat).

This meal system has limitations, says Davis. "When you follow the diabetes food pyramid, you are not controlling specific grams of carbs and might not be able to achieve very tight blood sugar control," she tells WebMD. "However, the pyramid helps you see which foods are carbohydrates -- to get you acquainted with them."
    ------------------------------------------------
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Another link that might be of interest to you.Please follow link for the rest of the article.
    ------------------------
    The Diabetic Diet: How diabetics count calories and plan their diets.
    Treatment of Diabetes

There are several aspects in the treatment of diabetes, each one with a very important role.

The mainstays of Diabetes Treatment are:
    Working towards obtaining ideal body weight
    Following a diabetic diet
    Regular exercise
    Diabetic medication if needed

Note: Type 1 Diabetes must be treated with insulin. This involves injecting insulin under the skin for it to work. Insulin cannot be taken as a pill because the digestive juices in the stomach would destroy the insulin before it could work. Scientists are looking for new ways to give insulin. But today, shots are the only method. There are, however, new methods to give the shots... Insulin Pumps are now being widely used and many people are having great results. A new page on insulin pumps will be on line soon.

Working towards obtaining ideal body weight.

An estimate of ideal body weight can be calculated using this formula:

For women: Start with 100 pounds for 5 feet tall. Add 5 pounds for every inch over 5 feet. (If you are under 5 feet, subtract 5 pounds for each inch under 5 feet). This will give you your ideal weight. If you have a large frame, add 10 percent. If you have a small frame, subtract ten percent. ( A good way to decide your frame size is to look at your wrist size compared to other women's)

Example: a woman who is 5' 4" tall and has a large frame.
    100 pounds + 20 pounds (4 inches times 5 pounds per inch) =120 pounds.
    Add 10% for large frame (in this case 10% of 120 pounds is 12 pounds).
    120 pounds + 12 pounds = 142 pounds ideal body weight.

For men: Start with 106 pounds for a height of 5 foot. Add 6 pounds for

every inch above 5 foot. For a large frame, add 10%. For a
    small frame, subtract 10 percent. (See above for further details).

The Diabetic Diet

Diet is very important in diabetes. There are differing philosophies on what is the BEST diet but below is a guideline with some general principles.

Patients with Type 1 diabetes should have a diet that has approximately 35 calories per kg of body weight per day (or 16 calories per pound of body weight per day). Patients with Type 2 diabetes generally are put on a 1500-1800 calorie diet per day to promote weight loss and then the maintenance of ideal body weight.. However, this may vary depending on the person's age, sex, activity level, current weight and body style. More obese individuals may need more calories initially until their weight is less. This is because it takes more calories to maintain a larger body and a 1600 calorie diet for them may promote weight loss that is too fast to be healthy. Men have more muscle mass in general and therefore may require more calories. Muscle burns more calories per hour than fat. (Thus also one reason to regularly exercise and build up muscle!) Also, people whose activity level is low will have less daily caloric needs.

Generally, carbohydrates should make up about 50 percent of the daily calories ( with the accepted range 40-60 percent). In general, lower carbohydrate intake is associated with lower sugar levels in the blood. However the benefits of this can be cancelled out by the problems associated with a higher fat diet taken in to compensate for the lower amount of carbohydrates.. This problem can be improved by substituting monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats for saturated fats.

Most people with diabetes find that it is quite helpful to sit down with a dietician or nutritionist for a consult about what is the best diet for them and how many daily calories they need. It is quite important for diabetics to understand the principles of carbohydrate counting and how to help control blood sugar levels through proper diet. Below are some general principles about the diabetic diet.

----------------------------------------------

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetic Cat Help [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old, diabetic, spayed, feline. She has been insulin dependent for approx 5 years. Occasionally, she may go a week or more and require NO insulin. She's been on Humulin-Ultra the entire time. Has anyone ever had a bad bottle? This bottle is less than two weeks old, but her #'s are...

Diabetic cooking [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and am trying to cook healthy meals. Does anyone have any recipies for good vegetable dishes. I am trying not to use starchy vegetables. My Doctor said vegetables were free for me to eat so I can have more of them if they are not the starchy kind! Yumm...

Diabetic dog [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has diabetes and I can't get her to eat, she vomits every time she eats or drinks this is the first time this has happened. I think she is having a hypoglycemic episode, should I give her her shot anyway? I just put some karo syrup on her teeth so she could get some sugar, can anyone help me.

Diabetic diet [ 1 Answers ]

My Aunt is a big, beautiful, mature woman who has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. She is having a problem understanding how to convert carbs to grams. Her dietician is a wonderful person, but doesn't realize that she is 70 years old and may not catch on as quickly as a younger...

View more questions Search