Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjf0066 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Google Browser-Chrome(BETA)
    Just downloaded the new browser from Google a few minutes ago, and was wondering if anyone has had time to run it for a while and what do you think?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Sep 3, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Here's why I will not download or use Chrome on my work & home machines.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 3, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Well so far it's looking good.
    I must admit I'm very impressed with the speed, but I'm keeping it as a test/back up browser for now.

As for the EULA, have you read any of the Micro$oft ones recently, they are FULL of statements like the ones referenced.

I'm sure they even make you agree to giving up your first born son and worshipping BillG for all time ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    Here's why I will not download or use Chrome on my work & home machines.
    They're having that same chat at Slashdot: Slashdot | Reading Google Chrome's Fine Print

They seem to think it refers to the services only not the browser. If it does go open source then someone will repackage it without the EULA.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Here's the theory behind it: Google Chrome
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Sep 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
    For your amusement... The Register launches Chrome-o-Drome:

Reg launches Chrome-o-drome | The Register

:)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 4, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Well they fixed it then ;)
    The EULA anyway.

Burned by Chrome - Fire put out | The Register

Bear in mind this is a BETA product so there are bound to be "issues".
    Hey Micro$oft are used to selling betas, they call it Windows ;)
    Vinj Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:49 AM
    So far I am impressed with the speed. Better than Firefox 3 imo.
    alfiesgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Well it is OK but am finding life odd without my tool bars and auto fill, nevertheless I shall give it a wile before I decide whether to uninstall it. Msn posting via chrome is startlingly different and not as good as my regular browser
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 10:35 AM
    I'll definitely need some form of AdBlock plugin as well before I start using it.
    mfmassey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
    There is a very serious vulnerability with this browser from Google. It should not be used unless for research purposes until patches are offered. US-CERT has issued a bulletin advising experts of the problem. The default configuration of the browser allows files to be downloaded without the users knowledge or prompting. Said downloaded files could be opened by clicking on them on the users desktop. Users are advised to change the configuration to provide a default location to save files and be prudent visiting untrusted websites. Please visit: US-CERT Current Activity for details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for chrome pipe brackets [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing some 1/2" exposed chrome pipe in my shower. I will be adding a rain shower head about 3' (center of shower) away from the regular head. I have it planned and routed and have located all the chrome pipe, fittings, etc. Drilling and mounting to the tile is not a problem. I have been...

Finding more Google Beta Stuff [ 7 Answers ]

Gosh I've "run into" Google products unexpectedly twice now this week. Here's another: Google Base I've searched for a site that lists all their beta projects but am not finding one. I'd guess there are dozens or even scores. Anyone know a source that lists all their beta projects?

Chrome to plastic [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am using a nice looking, high quality chromed brass sink trap with a chromed copper 1-1/4 waste pipe. This has to be joined to standeard ABS 1-1/4 plastic waste pipe under the floor. I'd like to know a suitable adhesive to join the chromed pipe to the ABS, using a normal ABS-cementable...

View more questions Search