Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheerfulsoul Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Offsetting a shower drain trap?
    A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such that people using the shower would have to step up roughly 8 inches into a high shower floor, or to offset the trap for the shower drain about 18 inches away, in an area where the floor joists run 10 inches deep. He said that a building inspector told him he would okay the offset trap, but I've never seen it & my friend is afraid the plumbing won't pass inspection. So the question: is a trap ever okay set away from the drain opening of a fixture?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2006, 07:59 PM
    If I understand your situation you are wanting to leave the shower drain where it is and move the trap to a location some 18 inches away. This is called a running trap and are use is some places. I think what the inspector would be interested in is the total distance from the drain in the bottom of the shower to the pipe in the wall that it would drain into including the length of the trap. The best things to do is to talk to the inspector and tell him your situation and see what he says.

Aug 28, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Thanks so much for your fast reply!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2006, 04:57 AM
    Once more letmetellu steped up to the plate and hit a home run. If you can get it passed a running trap,(see image) is the answer. Regards, tom

Aug 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Thanks, Speedball1 and letmetellu -- the trap would be roughly 18 inches from the shower drain, and beyond that, another roughly 5 feet to empty into the cast iron waste pipe. The concern would be any pressure or siphoning in the line that might empty the trap, of course causing an expensive renovation to be unusable.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Will this be permitted and inspected? At 5" with a 2" trap and drain line you will fall within code if the running trap passes. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Trap [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a new house. While crawling through the crawl space on an unrelated issue I noticed that one of the drain lines was leaking. Further inspection showed that the shower in the master bath does not have a trap. Instead the pipe drops about 24 inches straight down (very noisy...

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

Trap for washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bad smell behind our washer. After much research, I am beginning to think that it is coming from the washer drain pipe. Is it possible that it is sewer gas coming back up through the pipe? Do washer drain pipes have traps? We live on a slab. We have the wall ripped out behind the washer...

Tub drain to P trap [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am replacing the tub in my bathroom, as well as much of the drain line. I am replacing the galvanized(?) pipe and drum trap with 2" PVC, a Vent, and a P-Trap.. my problem is how do i install the Tub drain to the P-trap. The tub drain assembly is 1 1/2" or so.. and the P-Trap is 2".. I got a...

Shower trap [ 4 Answers ]

I read that a dap out (14" x 14" opening) in the foundation slab Is used to access the tub trap. Is a dap out area also used For the shower trap ? Thanks, Lee

View more questions Search