Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Aug 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Cheap airplanes.
    My lifelong dream was to become a pilot. Now that I finally have my aviation license I would like to buy me an aircraft.

Where? I can't afford a new plane, I got to get something pre-owned. Do you know a site where I can find something?

Please help me :)

Thanks.
    Sarah.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 02:09 PM

You can start looking at the airport where you took flying lessons. Lots of times private owners want to sell but don't know to who.

Another possibility you might look into would be a time share type arrangement.

Many years ago my mother and father took flying lessons. They joined a coop (time share or whatever you would call it) with about 10 other people to share an airplane. They would work out a schedule of when they wanted to use the plane and keep to that schedule.

Then my mother purchased her own Cessna 280. She had to find hangar space (not cheap) and she had to faithfully have the repairs done on the engine (no cheating EVER on that topic). In the end she had to give up her hobby as it was too expensive for her to continue.

If you are really trying to get your feet wet flying may I suggest that you try renting a plane for when you need it? Trust me, as an old airport frequenter this would be your best bet and the cheapest as well. It takes a lot of money to properly upkeep an airplane.

Unless you have an unlimited pocketbook or a very well paying job this can be a very expensive hobby.

I've been flying since I was 7. Was my mother's navigator at age 12 correctly reading the air charts. Got my own private pilot's license at age 18. I probably have several thousand hours. Most hours on my mother's log book as I was not legally old enough to fly. She'd take off and land and I'd fly the entire way myself (with her along of course). Lots of night flying, long distance cross country flying, you name it, I've done it.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 16, 2009, 02:10 AM

Hi,
    At the small airports most have Associations. They support it's members. My boyfriend took his lessons there and automatically became part of the Association. I see info posted all the time at the hangars. Are you looking for a Cessna? Contact the Association for leads.

Are you sure you want to make that huge investment? My boyfriend wanted one too but he has fun borrowing different planes for weekend trips.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two airplanes fly toward each other [ 1 Answers ]

Two airplanes fly towards each other plane A moves at 300 mph and plane B moves at 400 mph. if the distance between them is 2700 miles and plane B leaves 2 hours after plane A, when will they meet and how far will each have traveled?

Guitars allowed on airplanes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going on a trip to italy and I want to know if I'm allowed to bring a mandolin- I know there are many flight restrictions

Fear of airplanes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, The company I work for has decided they need to send me overseas for business but I'm really not comfortable as I am deathly afraid of planes. I've only been on a plane once and it didn't go too well. I've talked directly to my boss about this and he recons it's just an opportunity to...

Airplanes [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the exact date of the last take off the Concorde aircraft from the New York airport.

View more questions Search