Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Mar 28, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Cat dirt in my garden
    Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
    There's a gel that you can get at the pet stores that cats hate. You'll only use it a few times, then the cat will stay away for good. I don't remember what it's called, but ask for it at a pet store.

I did see this, too, but have never tried it:
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=deterrant&N=2

... looks a bit overkill to me. Try the gel stuff.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
    The gel is a great idea. I have used it before to keep neighborhood cats away and it works. I would definitely try that first.

Depending on how much you want to change your garden, you can also add certain plants that can help. If you like cacti, strategically placed, these keep cats away quite nicely. Also, you could consider growing some mint plants or even catmint (catnip). Cats love these plants, so it won't keep the cats out of the yard, but it will keep them from using the area as a toilet. They don't generally like to eliminate in the same place where there is something tasty to chew on.
    crocodilicious Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Cats hate RUE (as do most creatures with noses). You could try planting a rue hedge or maybe sprinkle dried rue all over your yard.

My Aunt would stick a fresh sprig in her head band to keep bugs off while gardening.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 05:38 AM
    HI,
    Tried White Distilled Vinegar?
    Put in a spray bottle, straight vinegar.
    Spray all around your garden. They can't stand the smell.
    Don't get any on your plants. Vinegar is also good for a grass killer! It kills anything green.
    Best of luck.
    Fergus O'Carroll Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
    You may not believe me but this really works.
    Take a large empty ( 2 -litre for example ) plastic bottle and fill it 3/4 way with water , that right ordinary H2O.
    Close the top of the bottle so it does not leak and just leave the bottle lying in the garden and hey presto... no more cats invading or soiling your garden.
    I don't know why this works but it does , I have tried it myself and have also told some neighbours to try it out... it worked every time
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 11:49 AM
    That's interesting, Fergus... I should try that myself. Maybe the cats are scared of it? Who knows.
    ahuvakapon Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2006, 05:52 AM
    :) HI Fergus!
    That's intersting!
    Up until now, I knew that filling transparent plastic bags with water and hanging them on a rope (like clothes on a washiong line), keeps bugs and flies away!
    No one knows the explanation, but it works!
    Bye,
    Ahuva
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:47 PM
    Dog, has anyone ever tried a dog? I hear cats don't like them.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Apr 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Cats don't like to do their business in wet soil, so I make sure mine is always damp. I recently put a wire fence around the garden and it seems to work so far. Heavy mulch will work too,
    clloydm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Moth Balls
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2006, 07:01 PM
    Just a little info on cats in the garden. When you work the dirt and get it under your finger nails, and cats have used it as a poo-poo place, you will get the eggs from pin worms under your nails. My doctor told me that they will stay under your nails for quite some time and if you happen to bite your nails or have even minimal contact with your mouth, viola... you got worms! Sounds gross... but true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirt amounts [ 1 Answers ]

How much dirt would I need (in yards ) to fill a hole 1ft deep by 10 ft long by 15ft wide

Garden Pool [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently moved into a house with a 3' x 4' concrete garden pool. It has a spout in the middle of the pool and city water can be turned on with an old-fashion T device. There is also a built-in overflow valve. A plumber advised me that I should not use city water, because it would cost...

MTD Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

2005 MTD, 7 hp, garden tiller will not shift out of forward gear. Why?

SLUGS In The Garden. [ 6 Answers ]

We've had slugs eating our garden plants, herbs, and flowers before, but nothing like this year. Tried just about everything from slug bait to hand picking and just can't seem to make a dent in the little slimeballs. If anyone has something that works for them, please let me know. (It has been an...

View more questions Search