Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaplink Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 02:13 PM
    No Hot Water Pressure in Bathroom Cartridge Faucet
    I have no hot water pressure in one of my sinks in the Master bath. All other faucets in the bathroom are fine and cold water comes out of the problematic faucet with ease.

I have reviewed some of the similar posts and opened up my single handle faucet to clean the cartridge. The cartridge was spotless.

With the faucet opened up/taken apart, I turned on the hot water valve under the sink and nothing came out - not even a trickle. I turn on and off the valve several times hoping that this would loosen something up. I turned on the cold water valve under the sink and the cold water came spewing out without a problem.

Any thoughts on where the blockage might be and how I can fix it? Thanks much.

-Kelly.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 28, 2005, 04:35 PM
    Do you live in an area where the pipe may have frozen? (cold climate)

IF not, then you can remove the line that goes up to the faucet and see if you get water coming out after the shut off valve. Turn off the main water and then have someone else slowly turn on the main water after you remove the line going to the faucet. The shut off valve may have sediment clogging it up.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Mike, He has cold water pressure so I doubt his problem is a frozen pipe.
    My guess would be a clogged seat in the angle stop.

Chappy, How often do you flush your water heater? Try this. Shut off the water to the angle stop at the cold water shut off to the heater and open up a hot water faucet to relieve the pressure. Shut the faucet and remove the hot water angle stop located under the cabinet. Check the inlet of the angle stop for trash. Now hold a bucket in front of the open pipe and have someone turn the water heater back on for a minute. You should have a strong stream. Check the supply to see if it's clear and reassemble. If that don't get it click on back. Regards, Tom

Dec 28, 2005, 06:34 PM
    Nope. I live in Atlanta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta
    Do you live in an area where the pipe may have frozen? (cold climate)

IF not, then you can remove the line that goes up to the faucet and see if you get water coming out after the shut off valve. Turn off the main water and then have someone else slowly turn on the main water after you remove the line going to the faucet. The shut off valve may have sediment clogging it up.
    The pipes aren't frozen and it is just this one faucet. The cold water runs fine - the hot water doesn't run at all.

Dec 28, 2005, 06:37 PM
    I'll try this - I have noticed that the hot water has been losing pressure for awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Mike, He has cold water pressure so I doubt his problem is a frozen pipe.
    My guess would be a clogged seat in the angle stop.

Chappy, How often do you flush your water heater? Try this. Shut off the water to the angle stop at the cold water shut off to the heater and open up a hot water faucet to relieve the pressure. Shut the faucet and remove the hot water angle stop located under the cabinet. Check the inlet of the angle stop for trash. Now hold a bucket in front of the open pipe and have someone turn the water heater back on for a minute. You should have a strong stream. Check the supply to see if it's clear and reassemble. If that don't get it click on back. regards, Tom
    I have noticed that the hot water has been losing pressure for awhile though. We don't flush the water heater as often as we should (about once a year). I am not very handy, but I will try - otherwise it will be time to call a professional...

Dec 29, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Speedball1 is a fountain of knowledge!. one residual problem though...
    The angle stop was clogged which caused there to be no hot water pressure (actually clogged enough to be no hot water).

I cleaned out the angle stop, blew out the gunk in the pipes and reassembled my faucet. Now I have a small leak problem and I can't figure out why it is leaking from where it is. I was hoping I could tap, once again, into your fountain of knowledge. Here is the problem:

When I turn on the faucet and look under the bathroom sink to see from where it is dripping - water is dripping out of the hole cut out for the drain stop (please excuse my terminology). What I mean my drain stop, is the thing that you pull up behind the knob for the faucet to close the drain.

I have a standard one handle delta bathroom sink faucet (the kind that looks like a big crystal door knob), and the "drain stop" is directly behind the knob.

Any thoughts on how water could be escaping through the cut out for the drain stop underneath the sink? Could I have mis-assembled the faucet?

Any help you could offer is really appreciated. Thanks so much, Tom. You saved me a fortune!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2005, 11:54 AM
    Hi Kelly,

Glad you now have hot water. The leak that's dripping through the "drain stop" is coming from the top of the faucet. Go back and tighten up the cap and cam assemblys. Good luck, Tom

Dec 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Thanks so much, Tom! I am all put back together!!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Kelly,

Glad you now have hot water. The leak that's dripping through the "drain stop" is coming from the top of the faucet. Go back and tighten up the cap and cam assemblys. Good luck, Tom

I was the weirdest thing - it happened to be the aerator. That was the only thing that I hadn't put back on the faucet yet. As soon as I put that on, the leak stopped.

Thanks so much for all of your help! You saved me a fortune and kept my husband from blowing a gasket over an unexpected bill. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure outside faucet [ 1 Answers ]

One outdoor faucet water pressure has decreased dramatically in the last month. Other two are fine. No new plumbing installations recently. Copper pipes. No leaks detected. Easy to access. Silcock looks to be 10 yrs old or less. House built in 1967. Sound like a new spigot or just a washer...

Low water pressure from kitchen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I turn on my hot or cold and just getting half of what I should have, I checked the aereator and it it OK, Fixture is 2 yrs old, hot and cold handles. I unscrewed top knob to take apart but could not unscrew the handle or cap. Help

Kitchen Faucet water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I replaced the kitchen faucet fixture in an apartment. The piping is old galvanized. We also replaced the supply lines and shut off valves. The supply lines are the new fangled flood proof lines that shut off automatically if the line is torn. The problem is we now have much reduced...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

Air lock in bathroom water faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I just drained my hot water heater in an attempt (only partially successful) to eliminate the noise as the water heated. I now have one bathroom with no water (except for a bare dribble) either hot or cold. All other faucets are fine and this was not the faucet that I had turned on upstairs to...

View more questions Search