Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geri Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Loss of Appetite and vomiting in cats
    My cats does not want to eat or drink anything, and allof the tests arecoming back normal and negative. Does anyone know what this could be need help asap
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Geri, what tests has your vet performed? If your cat is refusing to eat or drink, this isn't good. Something is very wrong. I would suggest calling another vet if yours is not doing the proper job. Without being able to examine your cat or run tests, people here would only be guessing at what the problem is. Please, if your vet is not doing everything possible to find an answer, you need to make an appointment with another vet. Your cat will die if she/he continues not to drink any liquids. Please get your pet to a vet who is able to help you, immediately, or at least not any later than Monday morning if you cannot find an emergency clinic. Most vets have emergency hours on Sunday. It will cost more but your poor cat is in distress right now.

May 6, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Geri, what tests has your vet performed? If your cat is refusing to eat or drink, this isn't good. Something is very wrong. I would suggest calling another vet if yours is not doing the proper job. Without being able to examine your cat or run tests, people here would only be guessing at what the problem is. Please, if your vet is not doing everything possible to find an answer, you need to make an appointment with another vet. Your cat will die if she/he continues not to drink any liquids. Please get your pet to a vet who is able to help you, immediately, or at least not any later than Monday morning if you cannot find an emergency clinic. Most vets have emergency hours on Sunday. It will cost more but your poor cat is in distress right now.
    Hello RubyPitbull, Thank you so must for responding and for your concern. I actually did take him to the Vet and they tested him for cancer, pancreatitis, kidney disease, and parasites. All the tests came back negative and normal, but after I took him back for the second time they still did not even put him on IV, which by this time was going on his third day with no food or water. I actually put him to sleep it is killing me, but I know that it was for the best all of his organs were already starting to shut down and they wanted to hospitalize him, but I just couldn't afford to do it in those three dryas I had already dished out $900. I would have given $900 more if I knew they could save him, but they had no answers. I really think they dropped the ball on this, but I can't prove it, it just really hurts he was only 19months old he was just a baby. He really had a personally too very smart I haven't stopped crying, and when I do my daughter is so I only start all over again. This is the first time I am looking forward to Monday so I can go to work and perhaps take my mind off everything. I am attaching a picture say a pray for him please.

Thanks again you are too kind.
    Attached Images

Km104 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri
    My cats does not want to eat or drink anything, and allof the tests arecoming back normal and negative. Does anyone know what this could be need help asap
    Geri
    Have your cats been exposed to Antifreeze via a garage or a spill - sounds like some sort of poisening to me. Antifreeze is sweet and smells yummy to animals they will lick it up and become very ill and even worse... dont want to say.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Geri, my heart sank when I read your post. I am truly so very, very sorry. He was a beautiful cat! Km may be on to something. I am also wondering whether he might have eaten any of that food that was on the recall. They haven't figured out all the foods that might have been affected. Without knowing exactly what happened, what he might have eaten that you weren't aware of, it is so hard for a vet to know what to look for. It sounds like you and the vet did everything possible. Just like our own doctors, they aren't perfect and can't always resolve a problem. You may question yourself but I can assure you, you did the right thing. No animal or human should suffer. Putting him on extended IV drips and running more test probably wouldn't have helped resolve the problem if they weren't able to figure it out at that point. It would have only extended his suffering. I am so sorry, but know that you did everything that you could, and you made the right decision for your pet.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Working in the business, I know its hard and very frustrating but we have to use a checklist approach. Bloodwork, xray-did they do an x-ray? FELV/FIV tests. Was there no vomiting or any other outward signs?
    It really sounds like a birth defect from what little info given and a little knowledge that I have. What makes me think that is that most defects, if not severe enough to present at birth, usually present by the second birthday.
    The cure? Go get another kitten!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Well, when you are up to MrsC's suggestion, please check your local ASPCA, Humane Society, or rescue group. There are so many cats and kittens that are just thrown away. There is only so much room these places have. They usually put down the older ones that have been there too long, to make room for the new. It would be a nice tribute to your kitty to save another life.

May 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Km104
    Geri
    Have your cats been exposed to Antifreeze via a garage or a spill - sounds like some sort of poisening to me. Antifreeze is sweet and smells yummy to animals they will lick it up and become very ill and even worse ......dont want to say.
    I really am not sure he was an in house cat, but I realize that sometimes we bring things in on our shoes he was fine Wednesday night and Thrusday morning he was not, by Friday it was just about over. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. He was my baby

May 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Geri, my hear sank when I read your post. I am truly so very, very sorry. He was a beautiful cat! Km may be on to something. I am also wondering whether he might have eaten any of that food that was on the recall. They haven't figured out all the foods that might have been affected. Without knowing exactly what happened, what he might have eaten that you weren't aware of, it is so hard for a vet to know what to look for. It sounds like you and the vet did everything possible. Just like our own doctors, they aren't perfect and can't always resolve a problem. You may question yourself but I can assure you, you did the right thing. No animal or human should suffer. Putting him on extended IV drips and running more test probably wouldn't have helped resolve the problem if they weren't able to figure it out at that point. It would have only extended his suffering. I am so sorry, but know that you did everything that you possibly could, and you made the right decision for your pet.
    Ruby thanks again for your kindness. I thought about the food, but I know it wasn't that because we have another cat, his sister and she is fine eating the same food. So it had to be something else what I guess I will never know. I do know that he was loved and well taken care of, I really miss him. I think his sister does too. My daughter is really taking it hard, we had them from birth so it really isn't easy, but we are doing what we can in our own ways to remember him. We held him often and hugged and kissed him so he knew that we loved him sometimes he'd let us some times he just squimed to be let loose. I just hope he felt the love and realized that I was trying to help him not to hurt anymore. It still hurts me soooo much I really miss him.

May 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver
    Working in the business, I know its hard and very frustrating but we have to use a checklist approach. Bloodwork, xray-did they do an xray? FELV/FIV tests. Was there no vomiting or any other outward signs?
    It really sounds like a birth defect from what little info given and a little knowlege that I have. What makes me think that is that most defects, if not severe enough to present at birth, usually present by the second birthday.
    The cure? Go get another kitten!

Dear Mrs CWeaver, yes they did blood work x-rays, FELV/FIV they checked for kidney disease and pancreatitis, even leukemia. Everything came back negative and normal. I do however thnk it may have been a birth defect, my daughters teacher said the same thing. Because it happened to one of her cats something passed on from the mother. And in reference to your suggestion we have another cat it was his sister. I am thinking that maybe sometime in the future about getting another one, but I think it's too soon right now I want to remember him for just a while longer. Thank You for your support.
    Geri

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appetite Suppresants [ 1 Answers ]

Which over the counter appetite (diet pill) suppresants are safe, and really work?

My puppy is losing weight and loss of appetite! [ 2 Answers ]

I have thirteen week old black lab. He was always a big chunk and a big eater. Three days ago my girlfriend found him by the washer drinking the water leaking from hot water heater and washing machine. ( could have had soap, fabric softner and lint and dirt) The last two days his appetite is...

Pregnancy: appetite and itching [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to ask that if your appettite increases within a matter of days/weeks, or if your breasts constantly itch, can that be a symptom of pregnancy?

Loss of appetite [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 y/o Dalmatian has recently stopped eating her food. She drinks a lot of water. She has been eating cat droppings from a litter box and I recently gave her a dewormer. Could she have an upset stomach from the cat's poop and litter or is there something more wrong?

Cats hair loss [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have just got back off holiday to find that one of my cats... a long haired female has a small patch on her back where it looks as though the fur has been cut with scizzors and the skin underneath feels scabby. Has she got mites? If so can humans catch them as I have 2 kids. I also have 3...

View more questions Search