Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    churchkat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 09:55 AM
    What color are cremains?
    As a Sexton in a church one of my duties was to dig the graves for for cremains to be interred. Having done 4 funerals I've seen 4 different people's remains. All were an off-white color and had a gravel type appearance with small pieces of what I assumed to be bone.
    Are all cremains basically the same color, some form of white? If not, what would create a different color, perhaps a dark gray and partially pulverized and stuck to the plastic bag?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 4, 2013, 10:04 AM
    An intriguing question - I wonder why you ask?

My experience is limited to four internments involving cremated remains, and all were pretty much the same - greyish powder, finely ground. I know little about the commercial cremation process but do know that it involves pulverizing after cremation - otherwise you'd have big chunks of bone. Perhaps different funeral homes use different techniques or settings, so there is going to be variability in the granularity of the final remains. The ash is always very dry, so unless the plastic bag is punctured or opened to let moisture in I don't see how the ash remains would clump.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 4, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Both my parents were cremated, and the appearance was very dry grey powder mixed with some larger pieces and a few obvious slivers of bone.

I wonder if you encountered someone who was cremated in a real coffin rather than the state mandated minimum cardboard box or shroud. Each state has different laws. Or the bag was punctured, as ebaines suggested. Or the person was cremated with a favorite object.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2014, 06:11 AM
    Cremains are gray and white in color. Regards v Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Legal rights to cremains [ 2 Answers ]

In my fathers will its states very clearly that he wants to be cremated and his ashed spread across the ocean--problem is that now two of the family children have decided that want part of the ashes, can they go against what the will states?

Legal rights to cremains [ 3 Answers ]

This is my question. My fiancés father died in 2009 he was cremated. My fiancés sister went to pick up the ashes she is still holding on to them as if they belong to her. She has no rights to them the man was not her biological father nor did he adopt her. What should my fiancé do about this...

Cremains [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Northern California and my father passed away on 8/3/12 in Concord, CA at the home of his girlfriend. I am an only child and she has kept the ashes and will not release them. They were never married, she receives a S.F. City pension from her late husband and didn't want to lose the...

Will color zap work on Ion Color Brilliance Brights Semi-Permanent blue hair color? [ 1 Answers ]

Will color zap work on Ion Color Brilliance Brights Semi-Permanent Aqua hair color?

View more questions Search