Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Dec 16, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Beta fish in goldfish bowl
    Unfortunately the other day my Golden Dojo Loach died. I cleaned out his bowl and now sitting here looking at it(the empty bowl) makes me feel pretty sad. I've decide to get another fish but am wondering can beta fish live in fish bowls? A person at a pet store told me yes, but on the internet it said they needed heated water is this true?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 06:22 AM

I know people that sell them in decorative little vases.
    Here is what I found.
    Water between 72 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal but the betta can adapt to lower or higher temperatures as long as the change is gradual.

One way to tell if the water is too hot or too cold is by watching the betta fish's behavior. A sluggish, listless fish is likely too cold and a hyperactive fish (unless it is feeding time) indicates water that is too hot.

Also it would be good to buy PH strips the closest to 7.0 as possible. Spring water is best to use too.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:54 PM
    A Beta will do just fine in a goldfish bowl.
    As long as the temp in the house is comfy for you, the water will be comfy for the Betta. They do not require heaters.

I'm sorry to hear about your Golden Dojo Loach.
    marriaget Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Dec 16, 2008, 07:57 PM

Betas have to be left alone, do not but any other fish in there.
    Especially a male beta... anyways... the pet stores sell little heaters for fishes.

Dec 18, 2008, 12:01 PM

Ok, well my internet hasn't been working for a while but I got it fixed today. Thank you all so much for responding, and I know about the no other fish rule.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 18, 2008, 12:26 PM

I've owned countless beta fish, and even considered breeding them as a school project when I was younger and threw myself into beta research for a while. I also have worked at pet stores before and dealt with betas on a constant basis. As long as the temperature is not too extreme either way, they tend to do just fine. While male beta fish are extremely aggressive to other males, and also very pushy with the females, I've had no problem putting beta fish with most other species of fish. Female betas are also non aggressive to each other, so multiple females can go together without a problem.

Dec 18, 2008, 03:02 PM

So it would be all right if I were to put a goldfish in with a beta, male or female?
    marriaget Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Dec 18, 2008, 06:41 PM

All I know is do not put a male beta in the bowl with another male.
    Other than that I THINK it's all right... search it on google.com
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 07:57 AM
    A male Beta would attack any goldfish
    Small enough to live with it and would attack all the ones with fancy flowing fins.
    Although female Bettas are not as aggressive as the males, they are still temperamental little fishies.
    Bettas are better left alone when being kept in a bowl.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 20, 2008, 08:48 AM

I'm sorry to disagree, but I have kept betas with other fish, including guppies with no problems on a consistent basis. In fact, I've seen betas targeted by other fish more then the other way around.

Dec 20, 2008, 10:49 AM

Yesterday I purchased my beta and a goldfish with it, I've had them in the same bowl now since yesterday and they seem fine, I've fed them and they don't seem to fight.
    AManWithNoName Posts: 424, Reputation: 9

Dec 20, 2008, 05:12 PM

Yes, but alone, no other fish, espesually not another bete, I put two beta in the same bowl once, those two had a ufc fight, and it was bloody and gory as hell, it made rambo 4 look like sesame street, it was f**king awesome!
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    I'm sorry to disagree, but I have kept betas with other fish, including guppies with no problems on a consistent basis. In fact, I've seen betas targeted by other fish more then the other way around.
    This just goes to show the poor understanding of compatible fish and proper tankmates for the different species.
    It's also bad advice.

Rex123, How many gallons is your bowl? Goldfish really should be in an aquarium with a filter and air stone. But, I wish your fish the best of luck.

Dec 21, 2008, 12:04 PM

I'm not sure how many gallons, my aquarium is... And I was never told anything about a filter or air stone. But the fish seem fine.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    I'm not sure how many gallons, my aquarium is... And I was never told anything about a filter or air stone. But the fish seem fine.
    Is it a bowl or an aquarium tank?

Dec 22, 2008, 02:42 AM

It's a bowl, this was part of my initial question, can beta fish live in goldfish bowls.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Its a bowl, this was part of my initial question, can beta fish live in goldfish bowls.
    I'm aware of that. Then I asked you how many gallons your bowl was and you replied with :
    If you had an actual aquarium, my advice would have been different. But you have a bowl, so it remains the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Beta fish acting up? [ 10 Answers ]

:eek: Something's up with my Beta fish.. it's a male and I got it about a month ago.. he's been fine and healthy but these past 2 weeks about he hasn't been eating nearly as much as he used to... it seems to be gasping for air all the time but I don't think its choking since its been doing that for...

Beta Fish Water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a couple beta fish, one in each bowl and after I clean their bowls, I rinse the rocks and the bowl with just plain water and than put the fish in but ontop of the clean water a few days later a thin layer of this clear 'film' starts covering the top layer of water... what is that clear film...

Beta fish tank problems [ 4 Answers ]

We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:

Beta fish sick [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Buddah3, my office mate of 3 years, is sick. He had "pop eye" in one eye so I moved him into a new bowl and used mardel trisulfa - his "pop eye" went away. But he has not eaten since (3 weeks or so). He was hungery but could not get food in his mouth. It was as if he needed glasses...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

View more questions Search