Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khmerbodian Posts: 62, Reputation: 7
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Where is the better healthcare?
    I recently watched Sicko and It sickened me! I'm sure it's very over exxagerated but it got me thinking alot. I want to become a nurse and I was wondering if I moved to another country like Canada or something. is it better than the healthcare industry here? Not really asking for advice i guess more of opinions?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

You will have to learn how to spell a lot better if you want to be a nurse, otherwise no one will understand your reporting.

You just can't move to Canada and become a nurse; in the first place, you will have to prove that you are working in a profession that will not replace others in the that field in Canada. In the second place, you have to have an employer sponsor you, if he can prove no other Canadian can fill the position.

By the way, nursing profession is the best to be in if you really really like caring for people.

What is 'Sicko'?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

That is a can of worms.
    Many Canadians on here claim they get good health care because they do. But I have heard many stories from people living in Canada, New Zealand and France say that it is great UNTIL you need surgery or some life saving care. Then they say that if they feel you already are older and/or have poor quality health then they put you on waiting lists and many people die waiting. It may be a small percentage comparatively but it does happen.

Ameicas health care system has a lot of problems BUT if people need care there are grants and other things available for them if they look. Another thing that I don't like about America's health care is that if you have no insurance and can't get any or don't know where to go to get help they triple your expenses.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 12:58 PM

Yes, agree NOhelp, but I think this lady is looking for work as a nurse in Canada that is why she is asking about the healthcare system.

And no, I don't want to go towards that topic again for sure, so I agree on just this small part of this original post.

Kindest regards as always

Tick
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:24 PM

I figured sicko was some sort of movie and I looked it up and sure enough.

I DO NOT believe Michael Moore at all. I believe in conspiracy theories and so forth TO A DEGREE but HE is what discredits conspiracy theories from having any credibility. He hypes things up and exaggerates to no end to where people that do not believe in conspiracy theories really turn a deaf ear and say they don't want to hear the nonsense.
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You will have to learn how to spell a lot better if you want to be a nurse, otherwise no one will understand your reporting.
    Sorry? I am a very good speller actually that was an accident I spelled one word wrong I believe that was a rude comment but I'll let it go. Sicko is a documentary by Michael Moore about health care it's very good.
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 01:28 PM

Yea I know he exaggerates haha. But the part I found most interesting is the life expectancy in other countries are better than USA. I was really disappointed in the way he said insurance companies are just out for a profit, and do not have the person's life in mind.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:29 PM

What are some of his claims that you are wondering about?
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    What are some of his claims that you are wondering about?
    Mostly the life expectancies, the free health care in other countries (no health insurance) And how health insurance companies look for a way to make a profit out of your sickness, by not giving you the care that you need and pretty much letting you die so they can be rich.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

I think that can happen with or without health care. I have my own issues with how I see the healthcare run in the USA.

I was thinking since Tickle said it would be hard to get into without a sponsor there are things like Drs without borders.

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for your opinions/help. When I saw that movie I was so angry that I didn't even want to think about having a career in the health care field in the US. But I will try it out and see how it works for me. And no more Michael Moore documentaries for me! It is very one-sided.
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 01:48 PM

Definitely! And I would be giving you 2 some green thingies also. But my account is too young >.<
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khmerbodian View Post
    sorry? i am a very good speller actually that was an accident I spelled one word wrong I believe that was a rude comment but I'll let it go. Sicko is a documentary by Michael Moore about health care it's very good.
    Heck no, that wasn't a rude comment. It was mature criticism. Thanks for letting it go though. Sometimes the brain kicks in before the fingers do :D

Tick
    -

Jul 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    heck no, that wasnt a rude comment. It was mature criticism. Thanks for letting it go though. Sometimes the brain kicks in before the fingers do :D

tick
    Bow Chica Wah Wah :eek:
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I think that can happen with or without health care. I have my own issues with how I see the healthcare run in the USA.

I was thinking since Tickle said it would be hard to get into without a sponser there are things like Drs without borders.

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA
    Yes, definitely, doctors without borders a wonderful organization. They go anywhere, anytime, pick up and go. I have gone with a few to south america as a healthcare aid and I can tell you, they do amazing work.

Thank you for mentioning that organization. I would pick up and go any minute when they call me again. But you have to be registered and certified and a definite scope of practice to go.

Tick
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:39 PM

The United States ranks 50th in life expectancy according to the CIA's world factbook estimates for 2009. Or 45th in 2007, according to Wikipedia/CIA
    List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So that means we are getting worse. In two years we've dropped from 45th place to 50th.

However, some of that is related to our poor habits--diet and exercise--not just health care. A better measure of health care is infant mortality, which (whoops) also puts us 49th from the top...
    Data Comparisons by Topic > Bar Graph > Infant Mortality Rate (infant deaths per 1,000 live births) - Population Reference Bureau

... behind Slovakia, Poland, Belarus, Martinique, Cyprus, Lithuania, Hungary,Croatia, CANADA, Cuba, Netherlands Antillies, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Estonia, Australia, Taiwan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, South Korea, Germany, Greece, Channel Islands, Austria, Belgium, Spain, Malta, FRANCE, Portugal, Israel, San Marino, Slovenia, Norway, Ireland, Czech Republic, Japan, Finalnd, Liechtenstein, Andora, Sweden, Macao, Hong Kong, Iceland, Monaco, and Mayotte.

My own health insurance premium has gone up 400&#37; in the last 5 years and I don't get much of a choice of doctors, despite my much vaunted "choice."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthcare Law [ 5 Answers ]

Does a patient have the legal right to view their chart while in the hospital if they request it? Thanks in advance.

Healthcare versus non healthcare business planss [ 1 Answers ]

What is important in a healthcare business plan that is not ordinarily included in a non-healthcare plan?

No Healthcare? [ 54 Answers ]

What percentage of Americans are without healthcare?

Universal Healthcare? [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this here because it effects us all and is a big election issue. While the current US healthcare system is far from perfect, is Universal Healthcare the answer? BBC NEWS | Health | UK 'has worst cancer record' Pacific Research Institute &bull; Publications &bull; Michael Moore...

View more questions Search