Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Broke off copper pipe
    I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Dec 31, 2005, 08:37 PM
    Copper pipe
    If it is actually a copper pipe that broke or just broke away from the fitting, the answer is that you do need to solder it. However it is much more likely that the pipe you are talking about holds the tub spout and is actually a threaded galvanized pipe that broke off at the threads. If this is the case you can go through the laborious task of getting the remaining threads out with a good internal extractor. If you can send a picture it will clear things up.
    Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2005, 09:08 PM
    There are ways around soldering a copper pipe. They will require a big hole in the wall. Of course, hire a plumber to come and solder the pipe, he may have to knock a big hole in the wall. If it is tiled or a one piece tub and shower, study cutting into the far side of the wall. Drywall is easier to patch. Some houses are even built with an access panel on the far side of the tub.

There are compression fittings, brass, Quest meant for PEX, and CPVC that will fit on copper pipe. I have had the best luck with the CPVC type, but I not sure they come in elbows that might make the best job.

We need more details. Did the piece that broke or pulled out of an elbow have a copper threaded end soldered on to it that the faucet screwed on to? A picture, as Darrel said, would be nice.

If Tom drops by, pay careful attention to what he says. He is probably partying and may not be fit for duty for days.
    James W. Acker Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 31, 2005, 11:14 PM
    Copper Pipe
    It is possible that what happened is that you were trying to unscrew the tub spout, (The tub Filler), and as you were doing it it was not unscrewing but twisting the copper tube coming out of the wall. If this is the case a plumber with experence in this sort of thing without burning down your house or tearing up the wall. He can remove the broken pice of pipe and replace it with a new pipe and then screw a new tub filler on. I would not recommend a home owner doing this because there is a change of starting a fire if you do not know what you ae doing. This only applies to copper pipe coming out of the wall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 1, 2006, 08:04 AM
    "If Tom drops by, pay careful attention to what he says. He is probably partying and may not be fit for duty for days."
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Lab but the Speedster's slowed down. He took his last drink thirty years ago. He's up, ready to go and hangover free.
    And I hope you had a great News Years Eve too.

Now on to that broken copper pipe.
    (selina) I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?"

Yes Selina there is. It's called "Just For Copper" .and you can check it out at: http://www.justforcopper.com/
    Now if you will explain in detail just what broke and what you have to do to fix it and we'll help you get on your way. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

Rusted drain pipe broke off, how do I fix it... [ 1 Answers ]

We were having some kitchen cabinets installed and the drain pipe the goes into the wall for the sink broke off, well part of the threads broke off inside the 45 deg. Connector inside the wall. I can see the 45 deg connector and it looks fine and so does the pipe inside the wall, we removed the...

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

Gluing copper pipe fittings [ 4 Answers ]

comic sans ms5 Hi I'm very new to forums so I don't know if I'm even in the right place so please forgive my mistakes hopefully I'll learn how to do this without losing my sanity or driving anyone crazy. So here is my question I need to know if it is possible to glue copper pipe I don't like...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

View more questions Search