Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MonicaDR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
    SoL Debt Collection in Ontario
    I just had (Sprint Canada) call me stating that I have an outstanding debt from a residence I lived in about 7 years ago (1999). They told me that (Rogers) had bought out Sprint and that this was their last attempt to collect this debt.

I asked them to send me proof of my debt with them, but they said that they could not do this and the only thing they could give me was a statement of debt with no account details.

I hear that due to the SoL Act, they cannot attempt to collect this debt. Is this true based on the time frames?

Also, how do I get the creditor to stop calling me? They state that they are trying to collect the debt, yet they cannot place this on my credit report. Make sense?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 08:00 PM
    You need to review collection laws for Canada. Basically, if they can't prove the debt exists they shouldn't be able to dun your for it. If they continue to, you need to see what penalties Canadian law offers.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
    MonicaDR,

The SOL on debt back in 1999 was 6 years. Therefore, they can't sue you for this debt.

FYI: As of Jan 1, 2004, the SOL is now 2 years.

But, as Scott has said, if they can't even prove that this debt exists, then they have no case, SOL or no SOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitation (SoL) ontario [ 11 Answers ]

I live in ontario,Canada . 7 years ago, going through divorce, I stopped paying my debts ( credit cards, line of credit (unsecured), personal loan(unsecured),store cards). Collection agencies were chasing me but had no luck finding me. This week I check my credit report from both equifax and...

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Unknown debt problem -- Ontario, Canada [ 4 Answers ]

NOTE: Prior to reading this, please note that I reside in Ontario, Canada. I would appreciate inpur from anyone with knowledge about our system. Hello, Myself and my wife have always prided ourselves on living within our means, minimizing debt, and our (up to now) excellent credit rating....

TD Took Money from my Bank - Ontario SOL [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help! Today TD Bank took money out of my chequing acct for a TD GM Visa I had 7 yrs ago that was written off when I was younger. I went to the bank and they told me that the last activity on the acct was in Sept 1999. Is there an SOL in Ontario, Canada? Can...

Ontario incorporation and debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was told , even if a business ( Ontairo limited / Ontario Inc) goes bankruptcy , 25 percntage of the borrowed unpaid business (bank) loan must be paid by the owner / share holders Is that true? If so ,what would happen , if they can't pay ? What are the other things that hold owner...

View more questions Search