Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vijay15685 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Grad school after OPT
    Hi,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions.

After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT period immediately. Therefore, my OPT will be expiring in June, 2008. I am considering enrolling in grad school for the Fall 2008 semester, which usually begins in Aug. or Sept. (of 2008). Will I be out of status if my OPT expires in June and my grad school only begins in Sept? Can I avoid this, by getting my F1 renewed for grad school in June 2008 itself (since I will be applying early in the year, and have probably made a decision of which school to go to by April of 2008)?

My other question is regarding the area I can do a masters in. Does it need to be explicitly connected to the subject area of my bachelors (computer science)? And to make use of the 12 month OPT after grad school, do I need to get a job that requires a masters?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Sincerely,
    Vijay
    MVCLead Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
    My best advice to you would be to contact your international student services office at your institution. If your university offers F-1 visas, then they have professionals on staff to assist you with the ins and outs of staying in status. They will know best your enrollment history, the specifics around your OPT status and your EAD, as well as the specifics of your I-20. Contact them as early as possible in your planning and you'll avoid a great deal of heartache in the long run.

Best of luck to you!
    Ria100 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Feb 28, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vijay15685
    hi,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions.

After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT period immediately. Therefore, my OPT will be expiring in June, 2008. I am considering enrolling in grad school for the Fall 2008 semester, which usually begins in Aug. or Sept. (of 2008). Will I be out of status if my OPT expires in June and my grad school only begins in Sept? Can I avoid this, by getting my F1 renewed for grad school in June 2008 itself (since I will be applying early in the year, and have probably made a decision of which school to go to by April of 2008)?

My other question is regarding the area I can do a masters in. Does it need to be explicitly connected to the subject area of my bachelors (computer science)? And to make use of the 12 month OPT after grad school, do I need to get a job that requires a masters?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Sincerely,
    Vijay
    YES YES YES... YOU will be OUT OF STATUS if your OPT expires in May 2008 and you get F1 VISA / student visa in August. IF that is the case you NEED to contant INS immediately and notify this situation. They can get you in for summer school so you are in status while you are still in U.S. However, DO NOT delay this matter because once you are close to the out of status timeframe... there is not much anyone will be able to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for classmates from East Allegheny High School Who grad. In 86 or 87 . [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering what happened to everyone! IF you went to EA in north versailles Pa. hope to here from you.

School [ 7 Answers ]

When I am at school there are game websites which are blocked Is there anyway I can get onto them

School uniforms [ 4 Answers ]

Uniforms should be abolished. I have to writa debate in the favour of the motion. Please tell me more about "why uniforms should be abolished?":) :)

Do you keep HM after school is over? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone keeps their Homework/Class work after the school semester is over? I do but not all of it.

About School [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to be very aggressive most of the time in school I mean just by someone looking at me it seeems to me like I got to do somethng about it because its going to hurt me and this has gotten me to be very popular in school with students and staff I mean students like me cause I won't beat up...

View more questions Search