Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistakes1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Social Security Disability?
    If your receiving Total Social Security benefits, and IRS find out you received money from the same co. you use to work for (15,000 IN A YEAR) WILL social security TAKE YOUR Benefits AWAY FROM YOU?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
    They should investigate this as it will trigger some sort of indication of money being paid to you when you receive Disability. You will be called in to explain the money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2008, 06:20 PM
    You are required to report all of your income first to IRS, and also Social security requires you notify them of your income levels, Yes, if you are working, then you are not actually totally disabled??

But if you have income and don't report it, you will be in a lot more trouble if they find out. Plus if you had income you will get a W2 or a 1099 so the IRS will already know you have income.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Unless you are working under the approved program for rehabilitation, Social Security may stop you benefits. I know personally of a person whose benefits were halted because of a part time Christmas bell ringing job. Disability means you are unable to work. I have no knowledge of anyone receiving a partial payment for disability from Social Security. They must check the IRS records though, because they caught the bell ringer.

She managed to get her benefits restored, but I understand it was very difficult and required multiple hearings.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Where I live they allow you to make so much a month on disability but it is something like 28 hours a week and only a few hundred dollars a month. BUT you HAVE to report all income right away. My son gets disability and works and they adjust his disability according to what he makes. From what I was told, if you have a previous work history you are allowed to make more than if you have little or no prior work history.
    Your downfall would be that you did not report it when you received it. It is very likely they will want some money reimbursed if they do not cut you off. Don't know if they will cut you off. But it is better to report it than them find out because they can think you were trying to do some fraud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida

Social Security Disability [ 10 Answers ]

In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search