Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaccm01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Safe Mode
    Hello. I know how to access "safe mode", and have used it a couple of times to correct problems, following instructions, but can someone explain please, exactly what it is? Thank you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2005, 06:27 AM
    In safe mode, the only startup programs that are loaded are the operating system and drivers for the mouse, keyboard and standard VGA display modes. Safe mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files. The main portion of the Registry is not loaded.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2005, 06:32 AM
    SafeMode
    Hi,
    Excellent answer by NeedKarma.
    I might add that in SafeMode, in so many words, all the files are "closed", meaning not in use, that would normally be in use during a normal startup.
    It's hard for a scan of any kind to really scan well a file in use.
    That's why the scans run much faster in SafeMode.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2005, 08:25 AM
    To further explain, Safe Mode is a special diagnostic mode that loads a minimal driver set. Most of the problems that can cause Windows to not boot fully are due to driver conflicts. So Safe Mode allows you to boot to Windows by loading only the bare necessities. Once in Windows you can disable drivers from loading or repair them and then try to reload.
    CRO Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2005, 09:10 PM
    Safe Mode is a diagnostic utility that is used for narrowing down if a computer problem is hardware or software related. It also helps you to access your PC to make repairs when you would normally not be able to enter windows the conventional way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After winXP reinstall, screen looks like Safe Mode? 64 bit? How do I fix it? [ 7 Answers ]

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something... How do I get it back to normal?

No safe mode [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old Compaq desktop with 98SE on it. It keeps locking up and when I try to start in safe mode, it locks also. Any ideas on what the problem is? :confused:

Symantec Problems in Safe Mode [ 5 Answers ]

I am infected with Trojan Startpage and following instructions from Symantec need to run AV in safe mode. I am not very knowledgeable on computers but managed to get XP to start in safe mode. When I try to run Symantec Antivirus it fails to start. It throws up an error that asks me whether I...

Unable to Access Safe Mode in XP SP2 [ 6 Answers ]

I am unable to start in Safe Mode in XPSP2, either by hitting F8 during boot up or using msconfig: BOOTINI/SAFEBOOT. Start up will not enter Safe Mode, but simply returns to the start up choices each time. Because of this, when I tried the msconfig method, the PC kept cycling and I could not enter...

Safe mode [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using ME 2000 and cannot get out of safe mode, even after selecting normal during the start up. How can disable the start up mode and return to normal?

View more questions Search