Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isleroyale Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Running furnace fan without heat
    I read some of the other similar posts. I am encouraged that there is a way to do without a spot for the green wire. Labman, could you give me directions on how you to accomplish this.

Thanks so much!
    Nate
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2005, 06:34 PM
    You will need to add a separate relay. Find a 4 wire one rated as high or higher than the blower motor with a 24 volt AC coil. For the line and load connections, link them to the same terminals as the original relay, one to the black feed wire from the house, and one to the lead to the motor. It should already be connected to the white house wire. Connect one coil terminal to the thermostat terminal the blue wire is connected to. Connect the other transformer terminal to one terminal of the new switch. Then run a wire from the second terminal on the switch to the second terminal on the new relay coil. With the switch in the on position, 24 volts can flow from the transformer to the switch, to the relay coil, through it, and back to the transformer. The relay contacts will close connecting the motor lead to the house wiring.

Nov 27, 2005, 07:32 PM
    When you say "relay" are you referring to the fan limit or the device that controls the gas?
    Thanks!
    Nate
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2005, 07:58 PM
    The relay is one more doodad. Follow the wires back from the blower motor. One should connect the white wire that comes in from the house wire. The other should go to a little box with 3 other wires, one the connecting to the black house wire. There will be 2 smaller ones, one to the limit switch, and one to the transformer. You need another relay like it. 3 of the wires you can connect jumpers from the existing relay. The fourth wire connects to your new switch instead of to the limit switch.

Fan only is a good deal. You can use it to circulate air to cool the house when it is warmer inside than outside.

Nov 28, 2005, 09:16 PM
    I would like to see if running the fan alone actually works in distributing the heat. Couldn't I just wire the fan straight into the 110 to get it running and see how well it does? If it works well I would rewire the furnace.
    Thanks!
    Nate
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Yes. You need to attend to wire sizes and the electrical code with 120 volts. You could also skip the relay and wire a suitable switch for the 120. If you don't locate the switch on the furnace, you would have to run 14-2 with ground NM or better to it. All 120 connections must be in a junction box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Gives Heat but Cycles Frequently [ 16 Answers ]

OK, Labman and others proved very helpful in the past with my ignitor problem so now I have another question: How long should a proper furnace run between cycles? I have read about the flame sensors and "limit switches" but I'm not sure if this is related to either. My heater seems to go...

Heat won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, well new to me. It has a heat pump system. I'm not familiar with them at all and need some help. I took out my old mechanical thermostat and replaced it with a programmable digital thermostat. Now my problem is that the heat won't quit running. I don't know if I have...

Furnace tuneup and now no heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil furnace with an indirect water heater attached. Recently my water heater went bad (I believe it was the coil) I had a plumber come and replace the water heater, and while he was there tune-up my furnace (clean nozzle, etc) The next morning NO HEAT. Plumber was away for the...

Furnace won't heat in Auto [ 2 Answers ]

I have read the different posting and replys, but they don't seem to address my problem. Friend has an older Kenmore Power Miser 70 that has an old electronic ign. (no flame senser). The furnace will heat when the fan switch is set to "on" position, and it will cycle the heat. When the fan is...

Furnace keep running while condenser has stopped [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When I switch my thermostat to cool, the furnace fan runs as long as I keep setting at cool, but the condenser stop after about 30 minutes. The fan switch on the thermostat set to Auto. As far as I remember, the whole system should run for a period and then stop for a while (like taking...

View more questions Search