Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rksjr1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2018, 02:47 PM
    Symmons shower/tub diverter
    Same situation with Symmons shower/tub diverter as read previously here, except that when I move diverter lever it seems as if the valve isn't opening all the way and I get some water out of shower head, but not full force. If I keep moving lever back and forth from tub to shower, tub to shower, etc, I will sometimes get full flow to shower head, sometimes takes 2 or 3 "back and forths" but lately taking many more and sometimes won't ever get full flow. So I took off the outer portion and inserted screwdriver into diverter hole to engage and get same results, does that mean its something other than the diverter spindle/valve? Do I need to replace the whole thing?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2018, 08:09 AM
    The diverter spindle is broken and needs to be replaced.

Remove all of the chrome trim parts and then you will need a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the DIVERTER RETAINER (T-21C) and a 5/16" x 3" LAG BOLT to remove the DIVERTER SPINDLE itself. Although the bolt sounds wrong it is exactly what Symmons recommends.

Remove the T-21C to access the diverter spindle and then You will need to screw the 5/16" lag bolt into the spindle and then give a strong YANK to remove the old spindle (hold valve body here). To install the new spindle you will need to grease (silicone grease) the new spindle at the O-RING to insert it into the valve body... push hard to seat it. Then re-install the retainer (be careful not to drop it... ) and test all.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark

Jan 17, 2019, 12:11 PM
    Thanks so much Mark for your help.. . Only a $7 part - excellent! - changed out the diverter valve, but alas, same as before - not getting full water pressure/flow out of shower head. And now no matter how many times I shift diverter back and forth from tub to shower it won't go to full pressure/flow. What else do you think it could be?

Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2019, 04:56 PM
    Did you purchase the white diverter spindle or the black diverter spindle? Since you have a tub and shower valve you needed to purchase the WHITE diverter spindle. Please post back and let me know.

Thanks!

MArk

Jan 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
    Yes, it was the white/cream colored

Jan 18, 2019, 08:19 AM
    It looked exactly the same as the old one I took out, which actually didn't look broken or compromised.
    Bob
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 18, 2019, 09:58 AM
    To clarify, your reduced water flow is from the shower head NOT the tub spout?

Jan 18, 2019, 10:03 AM
    Correct
    Expert

Jan 18, 2019, 10:18 AM
    Did you try removing the shower head and seeing what the flow is? If you have a full flow, then the showerhead likely needs cleaning with CLR

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-Calci...297e341d476041

Jan 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
    I have removed and inspected showerhead - no issues there. I will get full flow/pressure every once in a while after shifting diverter back and forth from tub to shower. Sometimes happens with 1 or 2 back & forths, sometimes even a multitude of back and forths do not produce full pressure. That's why I was pretty certain it was the diverter, but as I said, when I took out the old diverter, it looked OK, but installed the new one anyway. Don't know what else to try.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2019, 10:15 AM
    The only thing I can think of is an obstruction in the seat or diverter tunnel causing the malfunction of the diverter valve itself. Seems to work great in the spout direction though. I think I would set the diverter manually to shower with a screwdriver after removing the handle to see if that makes any difference and if the handle assembly is okay I would look closer at the diverter seat.

Is there any water from the spout leaking out when you turn the handle to shower?

Jan 19, 2019, 03:22 PM
    Ok, will have to look into that.. . And yes, there is a little water that still comes from tub spout even when shower head is at "full" pressure
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2019, 03:50 PM
    You will almost always get water from the tub spout when water is diverted to the shower... just how it is with these valves the last decade or two.

Some things to try:

1) Check (or replace) the diverter handle... may be stripped a little and not allowing you to rotate the diverter spindle completely.

2) Remove the diverter spindle and take the end of a metal coat hanger and bend the tip about 1/4" long and stick metal tip into the diverter channel and poke around until the coat hanger tip enters the hole in the channel... clean this hole by moving the tip around.

3) Remove the shower head and attach a hose to the shower arm, next remove the shower diverter spindle and using pressurized air, blow back (or turn water hose on) down through the shower pipe... see if anything comes out (protect eyes).

Finally,

4) You could take the old spindle (or even the new one at $7.00) and drill the shower hole in the diverter spindle a little larger. I've never tried this but I have considered it a couple times. Theoretically, I think this would help!

Mark

PS: there is no diverter SEAT...just the diverter channel.

Jan 20, 2019, 06:58 AM
    Thanks, will check these things out
    Expert

Jan 20, 2019, 08:32 AM
    I was referencing part T-21C in the parts diagram, sorry for the bad nomenclature.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2019, 08:54 AM
    Hi T

The T-21C is actually the diverter retainer nut... holds the diverter spindle into the valve body. The diagram above shows it behind the diverter... should be in front of the diverter. Stupid diagram.

Thanks for your help on this one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi, I replaced a complete spindle assembly and diverter valve on a symmons shower val [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I replaced a complete spindle assembly and diverter valve on a symmons shower valve. When I got finished the diverter went from low pressure water to the tub when moved to the right, shower in the middle straight down, left turns on shower and tub at the same time. Customer is yelling that...

Symmons Temptrol diverter has no flow on shower setting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Symmons Temptrol model A if the online pictures are correct. (Tricorner handle and diverter lever below it.) I get full flow to the tub with the diverter to the left. When I move it to the right for shower, it is a gamble whether I will get any flow from the shower at all. I often have...

Symmons temptrol diverter - shower will not come on [ 5 Answers ]

My diverter is not working (water will not come out of shower - it only comes out of tub spout when I turn T-31). I have read helpful suggestions from MARK on how to replace the diverter spindle(T-21C and TA-25B/TA-25A). My question is: Before I try to replace diverter spindle, I want to know...

How to stop a symmons diverter from leaking after replacing the diverter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just replaced my TA-9 and TA-25A diverter, but the diverter is still leaking from the center. What do I need to do to stop this leak?

Symmons shower diverter spindle [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,I have just replaced my Symmons shower diverter spindle again(TA-25A)because of a leak and now have a new problem. I have to replace this diverter spindle every year or so because the plastic on the end by the o-ring cracks and it leaks water down through the first floor ceiling.The problem now...

View more questions Search