Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rd68 Posts: 122, Reputation: 10

May 29, 2006, 05:55 AM
    What to do about my situation
    I have a 96 T/C Van with 137,000 miles and a V6 me and my wife and kids went to Ohio over the weekend and on the way back it just stopped running on the interstate.before I Had a upstream o2 sensor replaced by the crysler dealership and they said they ran a diag.test on it said everything is fine .But after it just quit yesterday I had it pulled to a mech. In Ky and they put it on a diag. tester and a big list of things came up.I 've already paid over $12,000 on it having a new comp. chip put in and the sensor replaced.My question is should I take it back to the dealership I got it from and ask for a different car or take it back to chrysler and demand that they do it right and have them fix it again.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Hi, rd,
    I am 64, and have two vehicles, live in VA, near the KY line.
    Both my car and pickup were bought used, and both are now 6 yrs old, running good, with almost 100,000 miles on them.
    My old pickup was 12 yrs old when I traded it in, and I had it for 10 yrs.
    I traded it cause it was ready for major work on both engine and transmission.
    The reason I mention all the above is that sometimes, it pays to just get rid of it. Your van is 10 yrs old, you've already spend a whole lot of money on it.
    You can either trade it, get what you can, and get a dependable, newer used model, or start fighting with the Chrysler Dealer. The Dealer, no doubt, is only going to say that "that's all we found".
    I would really ask myself, "how much more money am I willing to spend on this".
    There are many, many used car places here in my local area (maybe 50 miles in radius). The ones I check prices on, and shop around, are those that have been in business for many years... not some that have been here a year or two. Those with many years of business, have the same people coming back, when they want to trade again!
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    rd68 Posts: 122, Reputation: 10

May 29, 2006, 06:21 AM
    I thank you for your reply. But I still owe $1,000.00 on the van and that's the last payment .And you are right about the dealership telling me about that's all they found they just called me not 10 min. ago. So do I need to talk to the used car lot I got it from to see if I can at least get another car from him or just hire a lawyer for a lemon law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2006, 06:23 AM
    First I would ask how long you have had it, did you buy it used or have you had it for 10 year

But used cars 10 years old with over 100,000 miles have problems. I have a 15 year old truck with 200,00 total miles, but I have put two new engines in it and a new transmission to keep it going.

IF you bought it used, this is why normally you see 10 year old vechiles for sale, their owners trade them because they are starting to have mechanical trouble.

And of course tests will first only show up problems that have tripped a fault reading at that time, you may have a perfect reading today, and a dozen readings wrong tomorrow. Also the level of how advanced the test equipment is make a difference also.

And I will agree, even the best dealer will sometimes get a bad car, they will do their best to be fair, but in the long run, most used cars are bought as/is.

I have started buying one year old lease vechiles or rental cars, they have had very good up keep and have a good value.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Hi, rd,
    The previous answer is good. How long have you had this van?
    Usually, if you have had it over 30 days, the dealer or used car dealer won't do anything.
    Normally, within a 30 day period of you owning it, if anything such as this happens, they will make it good through repairs.
    Best wishes.
    PS; I have known one or two dealers who give a 90 day warranty, instead of just 30.
    If I am "car shopping" for a used one, then I usually look at those with 50,000 miles, or maybe 60,000, but not over that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've gotten myself in a bad situation [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, me and my boyfriend were perfect. Neither of us were the jealous type, we could go out to the bars and have fun and laugh. Not only were we lovers we were best friends. We had fun doing just about anything and nothing. Everyone envied our relationship. Then about 2 months ago, I started...

Odd situation... [ 35 Answers ]

HEY GUYS! I haven't been on here in a bit, but yet again I am a "situation". I guess its not a bad one to be in though!:D The gal from Cali is home, she just got back 2 days ago, but I have yet to see/talk to her since she has been back. I think I am going to wait at least until Mon before I call...

Bad situation [ 1 Answers ]

Okay let me explain the story my 4 year old son had to get work done on his teeth so anyway we paid a load of money for the time the anthesiologist so time passed and then they sent me a letter stationg I needed to pay 1010.00 and I said shouldn't the dental insurance pay the rest of that they said...

My situation [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Before marriage I was hving a affair with my uncle's daughter... but we couldn't make it up.. to marriage... and we departed in different way.. after 4 years I got married and she too got marreid... but now she is getting interest on me and asking me to take a trip with her to a hilly resort...

My Situation... [ 18 Answers ]

I had been dating this girl for about 15 months. We seem to have been perfect for each other. We almost never got into arguments and when we did, it was over within an hour. Everything was just going perfectly, we considered marriage in the future (after college in like two years) and both had...

View more questions Search