Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
    wage garnishment or bank account garnishment?
    Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe.

I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the time frame to at least file a motion to vacate the judgment. I called the lawyer handling the case and basically waved my hand and said, "Here I am." I found out that I do owe the remainder of the payments. I asked them if they wanted to just garnish it from my pay and they say that wouldn't be a good idea.
    I'm confused here. I DON'T owe the $800 judgment against me but I'm agreeing that I owe thousands and they're not working with me.

I am still waiting to hear from the court on a decision to at least vacate the judgment or appear in court. The only thing I would argue is the amount. There is a big difference between what they are coming up with and what I am coming up with as far as owing them.

Can they just freeze my bank account without notifying me?

I did give them my correct address because they did not have it. I'm asking because I still don't know why they didn't just agree to take 10% from my weekly pay at first (before I found out there was such a discrepancy between what they say I owe and what my records show.) I am in the state of NY.

Thank you very much and I'm sorry this is so long. I'm new with the site. Thanks again.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Yes they can freeze your accounts because they already have a judgment.

I would check to see what they show as proof of service of the original notice of the suit? The clerk of court where the judgment sits can get this information for you.

If they did not get legal service, you can motion to vacate and dismiss the judgment due to
    Lack of legal proof of service.

If they have legal service, you are stuck. Your chance to argue over anything ended the day you failed to show up in court.

Unless you have enough in the bank to pay off the judgment, you will most likely be garnished as well.

Good Luck.
    jkeefer034 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Is there a maxium time an attoney would have to file motion for ganishment of bank account after the judgement was awarded to him? An attoney won judgement against me approximately eight months prior and I just received notice by bank account is being debited.
    edrose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 11:21 AM

All states have different statute of limitations check the internet for tne years chart did I spell statute right if not please forgive me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried about wage garnishment and bank accts. [ 2 Answers ]

My house is currently in foreclosure. We filed bankruptcy in 2006. I am disabled and my husband just cannot do it alone. My question is, can they freeze or seize our bank account for unpaid property taxes or any liens currently on the house?

Wage Garnishment & bank levy. [ 5 Answers ]

So I have a judgement... and my bank account has been levied... and a wage garnishment is in place, can they continue to levy my bank acount? I live in New Jersey... if that helps or matters... :confused: Thanks so much!

Bank levy & wage garnishment from a judgement [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: So it seems that a credit card debt from 1999 in the amount of $1800 caught up with me , now in the amount of $6000!! How can this happen? Once the bank account has been levied & the wage garnishment starts, do they release my money in the bank account though the creditor? Do I get...

Wage garnishment AND bank restraining order? [ 6 Answers ]

I've been having wages garnished for quite some time, but in addition, the company doing so is also dipping into my bank account and taking MORE money from there. Is this okay for them to do? It's making it quite difficult to make ends meet!

View more questions Search