Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnsonscience Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 05:09 AM
    How much internal energy is converted to Physical Energy?
    An 80kg man is standing on a 140kg pontoon boat. The system is motionless. The man dives off. His dive is perfectly horizontal (no PE change). The man goes 7 m/s to the left and the pontoon goes 4 m/s to the right. How much internal energy did the man convert to KE? The KE to the left would be 1960J and the KE to the right would be 1140J. It seems to me that the 820J difference would be dissipated energy due to friction between the boat and the water. So the total overall kinetic energy would be 1960J x 2 = 3920. Is this amount all from the internal energy of the diver? Or is it half of that because the pontoon is experiencing a reaction force? Also, if this could be counted as an explosive collision how would the formula for kinetic energy read? I thought 0 + 0 ----> 1960J + 820J + 1140J but I am not sure this is correct
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 05:46 AM

You seem to think that the energy "to the left" must equal the energy "to the right," but this is not true. Kinetic energy is a scalar, not a vector, so it has no direction. The total KE is simply is the KE of the man (1960 J) plus the KE of the boat (1120 J), or 3080 J total.

BTW, check your math for the KE of the boat - I get
    johnsonscience Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 05:16 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Okay! No, I meant to type 1120J!
    Is there any dissipated energy?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 05:38 AM

You asked about "dissipated energy." It seems pretty clear that in the real world the boat and the man will slow down due to friction with the water molecules which creates an opoosing force to their movement. Some of their kinetic energy will be transferred to the water (ceating waves and eddies) and some will turn into heat. However, at the instant that the boat is moving at 4 m/s and the man is movig at 7 m/s, their total KE is as shown in the earlier post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation [ 0 Answers ]

What's the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Explain with the revelance, the importance of Kinetic and potential energy in energy [ 1 Answers ]

Explain with the relevance, the importance of kinetic and potential energy in energy reactivation

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Internal hd converted to External HD - can't see Partition [ 5 Answers ]

Hello and Help! I have an internal hard drive that I have converted to an external usb drive. Everything is working fine and I can access the drive but the hard drive had a C and D drive before while in the computer. Now that I have converted it, I can only access files that were on the C drive...

Internal and Kinetic Energy. [ 5 Answers ]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A 14.0 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 78.0 N force acting at 20.0° above the horizontal. The block is displaced 5.00 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300. (a) What is increase in internal...

View more questions Search