Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meraj91 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2003, 11:40 PM
    Formating disc
    I have win 98se.installed.
    Iwant to format my hard disc.
    Iwant to make three partitions.
    Pls explain in detail the steps for formating and installing window xp.
    Thanks
    internet_wigan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2003, 04:57 AM
    formating disc
    Hi,

I've just recently upgraded my win98SE to windows XP. The I tried to do what you want to do and it didn't work by formatting the hard disk for some reason, but when I put the windows XP disc in and clicked all the options to upgrade from the version already installed on my computer - everything worked fine.

If you really want to format your disc go to your MSdos command prompt Start > Programs > Command Prompt

To format the C drive type FORMAT C:

1.You will then be warned about losing data, and asked if you want to proceed. Hit why to proceed, hit N to cancel.

2.Once it goes through the format, you will be prompted for a volume label (up to 11 characters). Hit enter for none or after putting your volume label in hit enter.

PLEASE BE SURE THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO AND BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT INFO. ONCE YOU FORMAT - YOU LOOSE EVERYTHING.

Partitioning.. Hmm.. This is a bit of a grey area for me because I cheat and use partition magic but if you don't have that piece of software, to divide your disk into sections, you would need to use FDISK. Hopefully someone else can give you some advice on how to do this.
    sclark Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2003, 06:57 PM
    formating disc
    EXTREME WARNING: Partitioning using Fdisk will erase the contents of your hard drive. Please only do so when you are absolutely sure that you have ALL of your important data/programs/files backed up and secure. Because they won't be there by the end of this.

Make sure your computer can boot from the windows cd-rom [check out the BIOS]. If it can't, you will need a boot disk to complete the installation of windows.

Check out http://www.pcabusers.net/fdisk.html for a tutorial on how to use fdisk.

Format c:, d:, e:... (however many partitions you make [your cdrom will usually be assigned to whatever the last partition is +1:])

If you are wanting to dual boot with linux, NT, etc, format only the windows partitions.

Insert Windows CD and boot from there.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2003, 09:02 AM
    formating disc
    HI,
    Be sure you have a Win98/98SE Boot Disk first. If you don't, please make one. If the upgrade doesn't work, you will need it to go back.

Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer

Insert the Win98/98SE install CD into the CD-ROM. If it starts up automatically with menu options, exit out.

Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)

Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk, to see if it works.
    Shut off the computer.

Insert the bootable floppy into the floppy drive, (if you removed it before) and turn on the computer.
    It will come up to the A:> prompt. Then, you need to "test" the floppy. Do this by inserting a CD (any with something on it) into the CD-ROM. Give it a minute to recognize it. If it starts up automatically, then exit out of it.

Then at the A:> prompt, type in CD D: (there is a space between the 2 D's).
    You will then see A:>CD D:
    This will change the directory to the D: drive; showing D:> prompt.

If it doesn't change to the D:>, then at the A:>, type in DIR D:

This should list the folders, or everything on the CD. If it does, the Boot Disk is ready to use.

If it did change to the D:> prompt, then, type in DIR. This will then show everything on the CD. If this works, the floppy is ready to use.
    If it doesn't show anything; make another bootable floppy and try it again.

I hope this helps,
    Fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 10:13 AM
    formating disc
    The first step is to make sure you have installation disks for all your software including Windows and drivers disks for all your hardware. The next step is to make sure you have the Windows Startup floppy or a bootable floppy that will read your CD drive. You can make the floppy under Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. You also need FDISK and FORMAT on that floppy.

Once you are prepared you boot from the floppy and run FDISK delete all your partitions and recreate the partitions as you want. Then run SETUP from the CD. You may need to Format the drive first. In which case you run FORMAT C: /S from the floppy.
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2004, 07:28 PM
    formating disc
    Like disphf said if your planing to make 3 partions and it came with 98SE then it probably doesn't have inof space, how ever I have only one other theng to say regauding the OS's I assume that the reason you want 3 partions is beause you want to install win98 on one winxp on another and the other is for misc stuff well, the one thing that no one has mentiond is the file systems win98 uses FAT and FAT32 how ever by default winXP WILL format a unformated partion to NTFS which win98 won't be abel to read so when your installing I suggest you tell XP to use FAT32 even thow NTFS has increased security (but only just a littel) so if all 3 partions are FAT32 you won't have to worry about win98 not been abel to access files on the other partions, but I would also like to point out some Microsoft stupidity, Microsoft have NOT made and probably never will make a Forward compatibility update for Win98 so that win98 can read NTFS partions (iv said it I carnt unsay it)
    ParamountMale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Partition: fdisk
    Format: format
    Installation of Windows XP: Insert bootable windows xp cd rom in cd drive and restart the system as cd drive being the top on booting sequence

Use Google for more.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive? Belarc Advisor can tell you or any system info tool. Try Googling SIW or HWiNFO32 they're all freeware. Then get your hard drive manufacturers boot utility to walk you through the operation. I always loved the Maxtor boot disk, it was easy, fast and easy to understand. One thing to remember 98se is fat32 only and you will want NTFS for your XP install. You can also use the XP install disk to format and partition the drive during install, but its slow as a snail and not very intuitive.
    XP will install as an update to 98se saving all your data and applicable drivers but its not recommended as your system might get really slow, so a clean install is best but you lose all your data and drivers. For that reason I collect all the drivers I can for my model number before I start. Especially your network drivers so you can go online to get anything missing in Device Manager.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formating [ 4 Answers ]

I have a dell 4600.. I need to reformat it,, I have all the disk,, but can't seem to get it started... any know:cool:

Formating problems [ 8 Answers ]

My son has an old 300 computer with window's 98 it wasn't working very well and thought a reformat clean it out and get it back to running smoothly. He created a boot disk and cleaned the hard drive. When he went to boot up the computer with the boot disk he get's the message "invalid system disk"...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

Formating drive [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: I received a new laptop that did not have an operating system on it from my fathers company while trying to format it, it keeps getting to 73 percent of the format then it states not ready format terminated. When I was trying the start up disk it would do the same things but then come up...

Formating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi This is probably a very simple question but anyway... I've decided to reformat the hard disk but before I do that I need to back up the files, right? What is the safest way of backing up? Saving all the files on a CD? Storing them somewhere on the computer? And what do I actually need to back...

View more questions Search