Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2020, 02:40 PM
    Let's tear down those highrises and skyscrapers plus get rid of picture windows and window walls!

"Bird-window collisions are an unfortunate side-effect of urban environments and are a proven problem ... throughout the world. Every year, hundreds of millions of birds in the U.S. die as a result."
    https://www.audubon.org/news/buildin...ons-birds-year
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2020, 03:10 PM
    After years of destroy wildlife ecosystems and running people off their lalnds for big oil, gas, and coal, do we really believe killing a few birds is a big concern?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2020, 04:30 PM
    Let's tear down those highrises and skyscrapers plus get rid of picture windows and window walls!
    So you want to just turn all those people out on the street? How do you intend to pay for all of this? Ready for your taxes to double? And the federal gov could put the "picture window" police on the street and put people in jail who don't have them? George Washington is turning over in his grave.

"Bird-window collisions are an unfortunate side-effect of urban environments and are a proven problem ... throughout the world. Every year, hundreds of millions of birds in the U.S. die as a result."
    You are aware of the millions of birds killed every year in wind generator collisions? Should we tear them down as well?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2020, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So you want to just turn all those people out on the street? How do you intend to pay for all of this? Ready for your taxes to double? And the federal gov could put the "picture window" police on the street and put people in jail who don't have them? George Washington is turning over in his grave.

You are aware of the millions of birds killed every year in wind generator collisions? Should we tear them down as well?
    You missed my sarcasm again. I was responding to V7's post about wind turbines.

V7 said --

"Another UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE of Wind Power: Birds of prey and birds, in general, are being killed by wind driven turbines at an alarming rate....Eagle are really being taken out in large numbers."
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2020, 04:59 PM
    Roger that. My apologies. Your post was at the very top and I didn't see what came before.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2020, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You missed my sarcasm again. I was responding to V7's post about wind turbines.

V7 said --

"Another UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE of Wind Power: Birds of prey and birds, in general, are being killed by wind driven turbines at an alarming rate....Eagle are really being taken out in large numbers."
    so in general you think we should give up our civilisation and turn the environment back over to the birds why not give it back to the first nations while you are at it?
    Expert

Feb 11, 2020, 06:31 PM
    No wonder conservatives have no friends, they have no sense of humor.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2020, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    No wonder conservatives have no friends, they have no sense of humor.

Humour is one thing, practicality another, vac was not joking. Windmills as presently constructed, are not a great idea, but they do serve a purpose, I'm sure you know we are in transition, but vac doesn't seem to
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2020, 07:49 PM
    guess no one wants to discuss all those unrecyclable and unusable discarded windmill blades filling up land fills
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2020, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    guess no one wants to discuss all those unrecyclable and unusable discarded windmill blades filling up land fills
    And all the plastic!!!!! especially the plastic trash along roadsides....
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2020, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What are they made of? if metal they are recyclable, if plastic they are recyclable? question is; the industry isn't that old so why are the blades filling up landfill? as to batteries haven't seen anything yet wait until those lithium ion batteries get into landfill and ste the tips on fire
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2020, 03:21 AM
    according to the article I posted and no one read ,they are lissome fiberglass. They are as long as football fields .So they do get cut down to size for transport .
    Tens of thousands of aging blades are coming down from steel towers around the world and most have nowhere to go but landfills. In the U.S. alone, about 8,000 will be removed in each of the next four years. Europe, which has been dealing with the problem longer, has about 3,800 coming down annually through at least 2022, according to BloombergNEF. It’s going to get worse: Most were built more than a decade ago, when installations were less than a fifth of what they are now.

Built to withstand hurricane-force winds, the blades can’t easily be crushed, recycled or repurposed. That’s created an urgent search for alternatives in places that lack wide-open prairies. In the U.S., they go to the handful of landfills that accept them, in Lake Mills, Iowa; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and Casper, where they will be interred in stacks that reach 30 feet under.
    Expert

Feb 12, 2020, 03:52 AM
    The science for recycling, repurposing fiberglass is here Tom.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2020, 04:10 AM
    so all these envirowackos are allowing these blades to be thrown into landfills when recycling is viable ? I think the states that have the windmills should fill their landfills instead of trucking them out to the northern plains states .

Global Fiberglass Solutions is the only company doing recycling of fiberglass . They already have a year's worth of inventory of used blades. They transform it into composite floor boards . Then the rub is that they have to sell the boards on the open market ,competing with all other flooring ,including other composites . I don't know the science . Maybe states like Texas should mandate that new construction uses recycled fiberglass flooring exclusively . Maybe sometime in the future it can be ground down and added to road fill . My source is not lying . The blades are being decommissioned ;chopped up and sent to landfills.
    Expert

Feb 12, 2020, 05:13 AM
    I have no reason to not believe you Tom, but is present practice the best answer? It's like any other recycling effort, invest the money to do it, or let the trash build up, and bury it. You know it takes years to do anything anywhere. I just see all those new facilities and the people to man them someday.
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2020, 06:09 AM
    I must admit that it is STRANGE for me to be on THIS SIDE of an ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERN: I have always been a SMOKESTACK INDUSTRY PROPENENT and have argued with radical ENVIRONMENTALIST.....But, now that I suggest killing the sh&t of birds may not be a good thing, I'M THE WACKO?!!??!! I find that your positions tend to be really disingenuous....and I only have to go back to several decades ago to find the appropriate comparative: Environmentalist and the majority of the American People were highly alarmed at the decline of birds, particularly raptors of all descriptions, back in the 50's and 60's and an all out effort to find out why produced the reason: DDT was making the bird shells super thin and they just wound make it to produce chicks....So, all grades of hell was raised and the government stepped-in and outlawed DDT: There were a lot of reasons to get rid of DDT but bird population decline was a big part of it......BUT, NOW, I'm a dumba$$ for suggesting that Wind Turbines are a problem....hmmm. I see: You all have a "selective vision" when it comes to what concerns you: You get behind the Environmental parade to save a salamander in a stream and prevent loggers from harvesting prime timber but you aren't willing to seriously look at saving birds...O.K., I get it: You have your "PETS" that are BEYOND SCRUTINY.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2020, 06:58 AM
    I have no concern about wind turbine blades causing the deaths of .001% of birds in the U.S. (or whatever the correct number is), but the banning of DDT had terrible consequences for people who, by the millions, have died of malaria since then. It was an awful example of a poorly implemented policy.

"Banning DDT saved thousands of raptors over the past 30 years, but outright bans and misguided fears about the pesticide cost the lives of millions of people who died of insect-borne diseases like malaria. The 500 million people who come down with malaria every year might well wonder what authoritarian made that decision."

https://reason.com/2004/01/07/ddt-eggshells-and-me/
    Expert

Feb 12, 2020, 07:15 AM
    Pick your poison.

http://www.panna.org/human-health-harms/cancer

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/clusters/fallon/ddtfaq.htm
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2020, 07:27 AM
    Do you actually read those links yourself?
    Expert

Feb 12, 2020, 07:40 AM
    YEP! Of course I do!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search