Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samuelluvsliz Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 08:03 AM
    My wounded dog
    Yesterday when I came home in the evening my little chihuahua had got out of the fence. When I called her she came down from the street and was wounded. She had poop on herself and from her butt and she was in pain. She also seemed to have little bit marks on one of her back legs. She could walk but not very well, so I took her to the emergency and the told me that her temp was low and that her gums were pal. They also said that it did not seem like anything broken from the outside. Her breathing was normal it just looked like maybe she went into to shock. Of course they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg just to leave her over the night to do some tests but they did not give me a specific diagnosis for her as to what was wrong. Does anybody have some advice on what I should do, I am worried that someone stepped on her and the her inside my be wounded but I am not exactly sure and as far as the vet what direction should I take for something like this? Even though I do not want to but depending on how bad she is I might just have to put here down. Has anyone else gone through this with a previous dog?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 08:25 AM

Unless you know what happened specifically and could give the vet accurate information, they can't diagnose what they don't know and from your description did a pretty good job of explaining it to you. Your dog was in shock, could have been hit by a car and stunned for a while, then got up. The only suggestion they can give, really, is keep her overnight and do a more thorough examination, unless you are willing to do that, I don't know what else to suggest.

She was wounded, as you describe. How, is anyone's guess, that would explain the pale gums and shock.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 13, 2008, 09:21 AM

Tickle made some good points... the vet does need to do some investigating.

You don't have to leave the dog over night as they don't usually have staff at the vet at night... but YOU SHOULD bring the dog back to intensive testing so they can see the insides of your baby, like taking x-rays. You have to rule out any internal situations.

One thing I do know about little dogs, (I have one.. ) is that they can get out of most backyards because they are so tiny. My little one is 3 pounds. I make sure she's never out of my sight in an open space.

Just do what you have to do to make sure that she's taken care of. After the vet has done all of the tests let her come home, but ONLY if she's comfortable in a crate because she NEEDS to be confined to a small space so she stays in a "down" at all times, (it's comparible to humans being in a hospital bed). If she hasn't been either crate trained or if she doesn't like the crate... let her stay in the hospital so she can get the help she needs. You may regret it if you don't... You should listen to your conscience.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 09:39 AM

The vets like over night so they can control intake of fluid and water for fasting tests. Also to reduce stress for testing.There are actually attendants on duty to monitor the pets that need tests the next AM.

I have very rarely had to pay exorbitant fees when I have had to leave a pet over night. It just makes it easier for the vet to diagnose the next morning.
    samuelluvsliz Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Unless you know what happened specifically and could give the vet accurate information, they can't diagnose what they dont know and from your description did a pretty good job of explaining it to you. Your dog was in shock, could have been hit by a car and stunned for a while, then got up. The only suggestion they can give, really, is keep her overnight and do a more thorough examination, unless you are willing to do that, I dont know what else to suggest.

She was wounded, as you describe. How, is anyone's guess, that would explain the pale gums and shock.
    Well the good thing is I took her this morning to her regular vet and he told me that it looked like she just got bit by something. He gave her a shot and some antibiotics and some cream for the outside wounds. He did not want to take an x-ray cause he did not see it necessary to do so. He said that her insides should be okay cause she can pee and poop, so I have to take her back in a few days to get a check-up! Thanks for the advice!:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search