Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samari124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Special education
    What qualifies a child as being LD specific learning disability.Can a child with ADD be identified as having specific learning problems and qualify under the category of LD.Which Identification is better for a child that exhibits the following problems difficulty in reading,writeing,spelling,or doing mathematical caculations.OHI category that normally goes with ADD or LD.Can a child go from being Identified as having a speech language impairment under IDEA to OHI(other health impaired)
    angelcakes22uk Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2005, 01:11 PM
    Try dyslexia
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 12, 2005, 08:46 AM
    If you are located in the US, check with your school counselor & district psych for evaluation... Get started early!

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by samari124
    what qualifies a child as being LD specific learning disability.Can a child with ADD be identified as having specific learning problems and qualify under the catagory of LD.Which Identification is better for a child that exhibits the following problems difficulty in reading,writeing,spelling,or doing mathematical caculations.OHI category that normally goes with ADD or LD.Can a child go from being Identified as having a speech language impairment under IDEA to OHI(other health impaired)
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jul 12, 2005, 06:08 PM
    It varies from state to state depending on how the special education program is set up. Usually to be classified as SLD due to ADHD it would have to be very severe. However, if the child learns better in a smaller classroom setting I know that here you can petition to have the child in the SLD classroom part time. The child is in normal classes most of the day but when art, music, and other electives are occurring they go to the EBD room. They get to do the same course work as their peers, they are just given time to do their homework in a focused environment.
    packert115 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jul 12, 2005, 07:05 PM
    Criteria's 1,2,3
    I have listen 3 types of criteria that may help you 1) Does the child have a disability that satisfies the criteria of at least one of the thirteen eligibility categories in the IDEA (the federal special education law)? In other words, does the child have a label ("child" or "kid" is or even "kid in need" is not enough!)? To qualify continue reading.

2) Does the identified disability adversely affect the child's educational performance? This may seem obvious, but some children may have a disability which does not affect educational performance.

3) Does the child's disability require special education intervention? Some children may have a disability that is not sufficiently severe to warrant special education services or may require accommodations or therapy but not specialized instruction. These children may potentially qualify for assistance under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, but may not necessarily qualify under IDEA. For example, a child with asthma, may need assistance from a nurse for medication management, but not require any instructional assistance.

The critical
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jul 12, 2005, 07:15 PM
    Packer is right copy his statement and paste it into Google and it will give the whole text as it was written.
    packert115 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jul 12, 2005, 07:26 PM
    Good luck
    Also I have coauthored many medical articles on gastrology ,though this type of subject matter is familiar with me you still have to do your own research .
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samari124
    what qualifies a child as being LD specific learning disability.Can a child with ADD be identified as having specific learning problems and qualify under the catagory of LD.Which Identification is better for a child that exhibits the following problems difficulty in reading,writeing,spelling,or doing mathematical caculations.OHI category that normally goes with ADD or LD.Can a child go from being Identified as having a speech language impairment under IDEA to OHI(other health impaired)
    There are two paths to SLD classification in IDEIA (Individuals With Disabilities Improvement Act) 1. A severe discrepancy between predicted achievement and actual performance (determined by educational and psychological assessments) and 2. Response to Intervention (RTI). RTI is the new darling of the federal department of education OSEP. The school must demonstrate that the child did not respond to validated and research based curricula which would then warrant more intensive services. Student with medically documented ADHD ,where there is an educational impact ,(this is important), are typically classified as Other Health Impaired. It is good to remember that the classification category only provides access to services. It is the student's Individualized Educational Plan that defines the program. Classification does not necessarily equal a specific program, e.g. you can be SLD and attend a class for students with behavioral disabilities. So... I would not get hung up on the label. Last question... Yes a student can go from Eligible for Speech and Language Services to OHI if he or she is found eligible. Speech can then continue as a related service. Hope this helps. RM
    sherry1975 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
    My son will be in SE starting in Sept do SE kids receive a check from the city or state I live in Chicago IL
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2007, 06:28 PM
    If SE = Special Education then "no" you will not be getting a check from the state. However, you will get an Individualized Educational Plan from your school to provide special education and perhaps related services like speech, occupational and physical therapies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What else to do with a special education degree [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated in May with a degree in special education. I liked working with kids with disabilities and thought maybe I was good at it. I got all As, did well during student teaching, but I can't land a job anywhere. I think maybe I do bad during interviews or maybe I just wasn't met to be a...

Special requests [ 17 Answers ]

OK I know that you all don't know me-but I am in desperation right now. I've been going through some really tough times in my life and believe it or not, I feel like God is angry with me... maybe for making some bad decisions, I don't know. But every decision I make is for nothing but the best of...

Special Ed Dating [ 10 Answers ]

Ok maybe Im being judgemental? Maybe you all can tell me your opinions on a Special Education or Mentally Challenged (Female) dating a Perfectly Healthy (Male) who has been known to use girls for sex? Not saying he will just has a reputation of it. I do not know him personally but my friend...

Special Event [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very important event coming up on April 29th of this year. I would like to lose twenty pounds by that time. I don't think that's too much weight to lose in this time, but it seems so hard to lose weight. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can lose 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months?

View more questions Search