Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kit78eo Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2016, 02:56 PM
    How to Handle Nervousness?
    Ok so I have an interview coming up this Tuesday. I get so nervous even just thinking about it and I get this sick feeling. I don't know how to handle it. Whenever I have to speak in front of people I always shake really hard and my teeth chatter and it's so hard to not let it show. For Pete's sake I'm shaking right now while I am typing this. I don't know what to do and I would really appreciate some help. I am preparing for it by writing down questions that I think they'll ask me and writing down answers for it. I'm perfectly fine talking to people like in a casual conversation, but actually talking to a group of people I'm bad at and like I said get nervous. Please help...

P.S. I had no idea what category to post this under so sorry if it's the wrong one...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2016, 03:02 PM
    A job interview? With one or more company people?

Mar 6, 2016, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    A job interview? With one or more company people?
    No it's for volunteering, I don't know why they have to interview me but they just told me they had to. And they said that there will be three or four people there.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2016, 03:06 PM
    They want to make sure you will be a good fit as a volunteer. Will you? Tell us why you will be.

If you can anticipate questions and have answers in mind, that should help alleviate nervousness.

Mar 6, 2016, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They want to make sure you will be a good fit as a volunteer. Will you? Tell us why you will be.

If you can anticipate questions and have answers in mind, that should help alleviate nervousness.
    Yeah I did anticipate the questions already (Before I posted this question) but it didn't help.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2016, 08:24 PM
    People WANT to like you. Meaning they do before you walk in, and when you walk in, and as long as you are neat and have a pleasant look on your face, they DO like you. Aren't you the same way?
    Pretend you have a dog sitting business and need a helper and are interviewing applicants. Close your eyes and imagine someone nervous walking in, and you want to help put him or her at ease.
    What do you do?
    You smile, introduce yourself, ask them to sit down, ask if they found your place OK, etc.
    Your first question might be "Tell me a little about yourself" and the second might be "Why do you want to work here?"
    As long as you can stay pleasant, and impart an air of happy eagerness of wanting to work there more than anything in the world, you are more than half way there.

One thing you can do is say a sentence or two FIRST, instead of waiting to be asked.
    Research the place (if you haven't already) and say "I just want to say first of all how much I admire your organization, because _______________. It would mean a lot to me to volunteer here."
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 08:53 AM
    Nervousness before an event is a sign your body is ready to perform. Top athletes and entertainers are always nervous before they actually take to the field or stage. If you are prepared as you can be then get a pre event ritual like grooming and dressing, meditation, or some other activity to get you comfortable until the action starts.

I like to be on site early and get use to the environment and get a sense of the lay of the land for example but whatever makes you comfortable is cool. Is this your first interview? If not, how have you handled other ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nervousness [ 4 Answers ]

I take random drug screens 3 times a week I got called in today and they sent my urine to the lab code was 092 it was not for ETG what could it be for?

It's a true fear, not just nervousness - help! [ 1 Answers ]

The dog is a 2 year old German Shepherd, a very happy dog when with family, children and people he knows well. Otherwise he is petrified of anyone else, and runs away. This has stemmed from our previous gardener chasing him and trying to hit him when he was a puppy - something we were unaware of...

Can't get over the nervousness [ 2 Answers ]

I took my drivers test today and failed. ( I am a good driver outside of the dmv... I promise). I was so nervous that I could not focus on what I was doing. :( I wasn't comfortable with who I was with and couldn't get my mind off thinking about what the test lady was thinking and just totally...

Nervousness [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have this problem with my shyness which I can't get rid off. I always have this feeling of nervousness with my body heating up and my stomach having butterflies. Even when I'm alone just sitting in front of te computer I get this feeling; maybe because I wanted to talk to this girl on msn...

View more questions Search