Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cantamag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Credit rating: Settled vs Paid
    A few years ago, we ren into financial hardship. I contacted one of our credit card companies to ask them to work out a payment arrangement with me. They refused because my acount was "in good standing". Well, we defaulted on the payments as I warned them may happen. They rapidly inflated the interest and they have since marked the account aare s a charge off.
    In 2006, I received suit papers from an attorney for the cc compan The papers claimed and even more inflated balance due.
    We are in the process of negotiating a payment as I am not opposed to paying what I actually owe but they are still well above that number in their proposal. Part of my offering all alogn has been that the account must be marked paid n full and the deragatory removed from my credit report. We are near an agreement but at the last minute their attorney stated they will only mark the account "settled" for the agreed figure and not paid in full.
    My questions are:
    What is the different impacts on my credit report for settled vs paid in full?
    I read online that if an account is settled the company can send me a 1099 alleging "income" from the difference. Is this true?

I am very newar closing this out but need help in deciding on the importance of this terminology. I need to re establish my credit score as high as possible.

Help ASAP is greatly appreciated.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cantamag
    A few years ago, we ren into financial hardship. I contacted one of our credit card companies to ask them to work out a payment arrangement with me. They refused because my acount was "in good standing". Well, we defaulted on the payments as I warned them may happen. They rapidly inflated the interest and they have since marked the account aare s a charge off.
    In 2006, I received suit papers from an attorney for the cc compan The papers claimed and even more inflated balance due.
    We are in the process of negotiating a payment as I am not opposed to paying what I actually owe but they are still well above that number in their proposal. Part of my offering all alogn has been that the account must be marked paid n full and the deragatory removed from my credit report. We are near an agreement but at the last minute their attorney stated they will only mark the account "settled" for the agreed figure and not paid in full.
    My questions are:
    What is the different impacts on my credit report for settled vs paid in full?
    I read online that if an account is settled the company can send me a 1099 alleging "income" from the difference. Is this true?

I am very newar closing this out but need help in deciding on the importance of this terminology. I need to re establish my credit score as high as possible.

Help ASAP is greatly appreciated.
    Remember first of all that "settled" is better than "charge off" . That said, ask the company if they will be sending you a 1099. If that is not the practice in their company then definitely go along with the "settled" account. If they do consider the difference as income, then figure based on your tax rate how much you would have to pay in taxes on the amount. Then weigh the pro's and cons of paying vs. chancing that the company does not settle. Once it is "settled", if it is not reported on your credit reports in a quick manner you can dispute the items (real easy) and you will even have a chance that the creditor will not respond and then the item will be deleted from your credit account forever!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unexplained excellent credit rating [ 4 Answers ]

A friend, after claiming bankruptcy, had to have a co-signer to buy a car. A few months later he tried for a small loan and was told that he had a three gold star credit rating and could borrow up to $75,000 with no problem. (This is in Canada) What could possibly have happened to give him such...

Credit Rating [ 2 Answers ]

Does being convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor show up or affect your credit rating in the US? I have been convicted and am now trying to purchase a house. Just wondering how this will change things. Thanks!

Just found a Judgement on my credit that was paid before court? [ 5 Answers ]

I ran my credit report for the first time in 4 years. I see I have a judgement in the public record section. This debt was paid in full 1 day before the court date!! I have the proof that I paid the debt in Full. Does anyone have any idea how I go about having that judgement totally removed from...

Settled accounts removed from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I reviewing my credit report, I noticed some discrepancies. Two in particular, related to two settled accounts, which did not reflect that I had paid the charged-off accounts. I tried for months to get a the collection company (Arrow) to correct it, to no avail. I then filed a...

Personl credit rating [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house in April this year and am currently renting a property. I have never had any problem with my credit rating and have never been refused any creeit cards or loans! Until I moved into this rented house. Am I right in belive-ing that a persons credit rating can be affected by there...

View more questions Search