Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elarrea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Change a J1 visa to a H1B visa
    Hi, I have been working as a teacher here for 2 years with a J1 visa that expires in June 2009, I applied for another teaching job in a college and won the position, my new employer is ready to sponsor me, I think it would have to be for an H1B visa. What would I have to do? How easy/difficult is this?

Regards

Edgar Larrea
    Elizabeth City
    North Carolina
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 03:32 PM
    If your J-1 is not subject to 2 years in your home country, and petition for H-1B has been approved, you can proceed with new visa... no problem.
    elarrea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    If your J-1 is not subject to 2 years in your home country, and petition for H-1B has been approved, you can proceed with new visa... no problem.
    My J1 visa does have that 2 year in my home country what can I do??

Regards

Edgar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 07:02 PM
    For H-1B, the employer must start the whole process on your behalf. This may not be immediate as H-1B applications are accepted only once a year in April.

There are other options for employment visas, you should discuss this matter with your employer.
    cheesecake25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 12:57 AM
    What is nos? What is j1 to convert to h1b?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L2 visa status change to student visa [ 5 Answers ]

HOw do I go about changing my daughters L2 visa to a student visa as she wants to start college in the fall, Her L2 visa expires in June 2009

H4 to F1 visa change [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently in US on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. She was accepted in graduate school for Fall 2006 semester and she started her studies on H4 visa itself. She is currently enrolled in her second semester. She is thinking of changing her visa status to F1 starting next Fall, primarily...

J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years. I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status. 1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years? 2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back...

View more questions Search