Ask
    Donald C Smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 04:08 AM
    Dell laptop
    How to hook up wireless to internet
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 2, 2006, 05:59 AM
    1. You need a broadband modem and connection
    2. follow the instructions on the modem installation instructions to configure.

That's all I had to do for my daughters!

Good Luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2006, 07:14 AM
    You need more than a broadband modem

There are two ways to do this.
    1) Connect to a WiFi Wireless Access Point (WAP). WiFi is another name for the 802.11 wireless communications protocols. An Access point is usually built into a router that connects to broadband service. WiFi service is of limited range. The wireless routers you see in most computer, electronics and office supply stores include such an Access point. You connect your broadband modem to the router, then connect your laptop to the WAP. The laptop will need a wireless network adapter, but most new laptops have one built in.
    You can also connect at a "Hotspot". Hotspots are public places with a WAP where you can connect. Some places are free, others charge a small fee. Starbucks and McDonalds are examples of places that have fee based hotspots.

2) Use a Wireless Broadband Cellular card. These cards have greater range, but limited coverage. Generally you pay a monthly fee of upwards of $60 for unlimited usage of the network. Verizon, Cingular and Sprint all offer this service, but only in limited (usually urban) areas.

Nov 2, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Apologies, quite correct Scott. That'll teach me to read what I write and then check that I haven't made a hash of it! D-Link and Netgear are the most popular WiFi components in the UK.

Nov 2, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    Apologies, quite correct Scott. That'll teach me to read what I write and then check that I haven't made a hash of it! D-Link and Netgear are the most popular WiFi components in the UK.
    Are there cellular networks like the ones I mentioned in the UK? Just curious.

Nov 2, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Yes, our local airport and docks have free "hotspots". The WiFi side of the internet is all the rage. Personally it just means that I can now sit in the armchair and surf/chat while watching the football (soccer) not that rough stuff you guys play to the left of the pond.

Nov 2, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Hotspots are different.

I was at a meeting a while back. We were in an interior conference room (no windows) in a building that is not cellular friendly nor does it have any WAPs. The vendor had a Verizon mobile broadband card and was using it to connect to a server in Seattle (from NYC). The response time and performance was amazing. If I was a road warrior I would definitely have one of those. But at $60/mth for limited coverage, that's a bit pricey.

Nov 3, 2006, 01:37 AM
    Are home internet connections rent free in the US ? We pay about £30 ($60) every month in rent to have a broadband connection at home. There is also a one-off connection fee. The WiFi you purchase (£40 - £70) and install yourself.

Nov 3, 2006, 06:42 AM
    You aren't getting what I'm saying. I am talking about 2 DIFFERENT things. WiFi is one thing, cellular broadband is a different thing. WiFi requires an 802.11 Wireless Access Point. Most people do pay a monthly fee that ranges from $15-$50(USD)/month. This gets them a wired high speed connection into the Internet. From there, they can add a wireless broadband router which allows them to connect wirelessly to their Internet connection. There are several areas however, that are talking about putting up a WiFi network that would provide free coverage. For example, there are several public parks in NYC where you can connect to the Internet for free over a WiFi hotspot.

But what I'm asking about is cellular broadband. This is a service that uses the same network used by cellular phones to connect to the Internet wirelessly. Several urban areas in the states have companies offering such service. It requires a cellular modem and a subscription, generally around $60/month. It does not use 802.11 protocols.

Nov 3, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Once again apologies Scott, lack of understanding and stupidity! My phone has the facility for internet access and that is available throughout the UK.
    http://www.wavetelecom.com/templates...tB.aspx?id=604

Nov 3, 2006, 08:51 AM
    That's not what I was referring to either. Several carriers in the US allow WEB browsing over cell phones using WAP browsers. What I was referring to is something like this:

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/index.html

Nov 3, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Wow, looks cool. Don't think we have that over here, maybe the UK mainland have it in places. Wouldn't be surprised to find it in and around London. But Guernsey, don't think so.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 3, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Scott, Colb, we do have the same in the UK.
    It's known as 3G.
    There's quite a number of mobiles (cells) that will even allow direct net access using the opera browser.
    One of the main 3G players are 3
    Big but for you Colb, they don't cover your location :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Laptop Computer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Dell Laptop Computer and some how I locked the keyboard, it won't work, none of the keys.. how do I unlock it?? Even though the internal mouse works.. just not the keys.Right now I'm on a different computer, if your wondering.. Please help me

Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I acidentally dropped my laptop a few days ago and consequently the LAPTOP monitor and the CPU cooler fan did not work anymore. I was able to resolve the LCD issue by reconnecting the cable back to the mother board.. However, I don't know how to diagnose the fan problem. I don't mind...

Problems with a Dell Inspiron 5000 Laptop [ 3 Answers ]

I recently tried to connect a Dell 540 photo printer to a Dell Inspiron 5000 computer running Windows XP Home. I got the laptop to recognize the printer but it would not print. I decded to disconnect the printer and uninstall the drivers. Soon my laptop began having problems at startup. It...

Dell laptop [ 6 Answers ]

Tried Several Things Need Help Trying To Connect Laptop To Landline Using Free Netzero I Have A Network And Modem Card All In One I Can Get It To Dial And When It Says You Are Loged On And It Verifies Password Then It Disconnects And Starts Redialing The Next Number...

Spyware/adware on dell wireless laptop? [ 4 Answers ]

I have win xp pro. My son bought a dell inspiron 1150 laptop (wireless). We hooked up the router to my desktop and cable modem. My question is, if my son gets spyware/adware on his computer, will that spyware/adware go on my desktop since we are hooked up to my cable modem? This might sound like a...

View more questions Search