Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hockeyspaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Calculate the value of the Gas constant?
    How do I calculate the value of the gas constant in units of Pa m3/ mol K? I'm supposed to use a factor label?
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 14, 2009, 02:12 PM

The gas constant is, indeed, a constant. Wikipedia shows the constant in various units: Gas constant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you only have the gas constant in one set of units and wish to convert to another set of units, it's fairly simple to use "dimensional analysis" to do this.

For example, let's say you have R in Liter  Torr/ mol K

and wish to go to Pa M3 / mol K

In this case, the denominator is correct. To convert Torr to Pa:

1 Pa (N/m2) = 7.50062 Micron of mercury (millitorr)

So multiply by 1 Pa / 7.50062 E-3 Torr
    (if you do the algebra, you'll see that this is simply 1 and you can multiply anything by 1 and not change it)

Note that the Torr will cancel out and you're left with Pa. Do the same thing with the Liter

1 Liter = 0.001 m3

So multiply by 1 L / 0.001 m3and viola, you have change the constant to a new set of units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Origin of Gas constant R? [ 3 Answers ]

Why is the R used for the ideal gas constant? What does R stand for? Who came up with R?

Constant periods [ 10 Answers ]

I have been having a period for the last 7-8weeks and I don't know what could be causing this I am still taken my pill and stopping when I am meant to what could be wrong?

K constant coulomb's law [ 1 Answers ]

what is the meaning of the k constant in coulomb's law equation?:)

Constant acceleration [ 2 Answers ]

Hey help me with this question :o A body moving with constant accelertion and starting from rest covers 9m in the eighth second. Find the acceleration Thankss:)

Constant acceleration [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me on this problem below :) The velocity of a particle moving in a straight ine with uniform acceleration increases from 10m/s to 20m/s in 30m. When and where was the velocity 15m/s Thx:D

View more questions Search