Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditi_13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 01:27 AM
    quadratic equation
    A takes 6 days less than the time taken by B to finish a piece of work.If both A and B together can finish it in 4 days,find the time taken by B to finish the work.
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Mar 9, 2008, 02:05 AM
    I don't see enough information there to use the quadratic equation. You have to know A, B, and C. If this were in the format of "A is 6 less than B, A plus B is 4, what is B?" then the answer would be a=b-6, b+b-6=4, 2b=10, b=5.
    But that makes A=-1 which is invalid as a unit of time. I suppose you could use A=-1, b=5, and C=4 for the quadratic equation... let me see what that returns... Nope, that returns nonsese. -.7 and 5.7 as X1 and X2. Is there any more information with this problem?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Think of how much time each can do in one day.

We have the equation:

Solve for t.

Mar 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Hmm, 1/t-6 = 1/4 - 1/t, 1 = (1/4 - 1/t)(t-6), 1= (t-6)/4 - (t-6)/t, 4 =(t-6)-4(t-6)/t, 4t= (t2-6t)-4t+24, 4t=t^2+24-10t, 0=t^2-14t+24, 0=(t-2)(t-12), I end up with t = 2 or t = 12?
    Since using t = 2 results in a negative time unit, t=12? It works when I check it out. 1/12+1/6=1/4. 1/12+2/12= 1/4, 3/12 = 1/4.

It's been a decade since I did any math at this level, so I'm probably doing it the longest possible way since I had to work it out in my head as I went. I just like doing them as puzzles.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
    That's correct.

One way to do it is to notice that the LCD is

Which when expanding gives us

Factoring gives

It is clear that t=12 or 2. Since 2 is obviously extraneous, we see 12 is the solution.

A does it in 6 days and B in 12.

Mar 10, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Reminds me of all of the fun I had in algebra and geometry. Math puzzles are great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

The local building requires that a lawn of uniform width must surround all factories. The area of the lawn must also equal area occupied by the factory.Determine the widht of lawn required for a rectangular factory that measures 120 meters X 80 meters. This is a quadratic equation word

Quadratic Formula Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you hel pme solve this equation using the quadratic formula: 5X^2-2X+8=0 thank youuuuu!

Word problems-quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

word problems-quadratic equation Students sent flowers costing $20 to a sick classmate. There were four fewer students contributing than was planned, requiring each of the others to give 25 cents more. How many students contributed to the gift? HELP!

Quadratic Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Pick out the X and Y coordinates of the vertex from the equation y=x^2+12x-7 Thank you.

View more questions Search