Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Early termination of lease, roommate refuses to pay remainder of rent on her own
    I was renting a townhouse with a 12-month lease with a roommate in PA. 9 months into this lease, I needed to relocate due to a job move. I informed my roommate as well as gave a 30 day written notice to my landlord. The request was for my name to be removed from the lease after 30 days. It was unbderstood that my roommate (who was staying in the townhouse) would take over the full rent amount.

I recently received a letter from my former landlord. My roommate refused to pay remaining 2 months full rent, and as a result of not getting his money, my landlord did not remove my name from the lease.

A few questions:
    1. Who is responsible for paying the remainder of the money owed?
    2. Is it legal for my former landlord to keep my name on the lease even after a written request was given to him to remove it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2007, 06:02 PM
    You are responsible for the rent until the end of the lease or until the place has been re-rented. You say it was "understood", but by who? Was anything in writing? What wasn't legal was for you to back out of a lease before its temr was up. A lease is a binding contract. The landlord had every right not to remove you from the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Unless the landlord agreed in writing to remove your name ( and I don't know why they would since they want their money) you can't just give a 30 day notice on a lease, you are obligated for the full term of lease.

So yes, you owe your 1/2 of the lease for the full lease, unless they find someone to take over your rental

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate refuses to pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am from Philadelphia. My roommate and I signed a lease that will expire on 8/31/2007, but she wants to move out at the end of May and wants her half of the last month rent to cover the month of May. He is bounded to the lease until it ends. What can the landlord do to me if I only pay my...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

View more questions Search