Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Breaking News re Herod's Tomb
    Of course this sort of news is often corrected later, but they think they've finally found it.

Be patient, lots of geeks like me looking at the site now, so the page may be slow to load:

Biblical Archaeology Society - Herod's Tomb
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
    He has only be searching since 1972. How did they make a pic of the coffin out of 4 pieces and how do they know where those pieces fit? Makes me think of the last scene in Raiders Of the Lost Arc, there is a big warehouse somewhere.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 04:24 AM
    I did not see a pic of the coffin. Is that at one of the links within the article?

Historians and Archaeologists have long known that his tomb was likely somewhere at the Herodium, but that mountain (man-made) is so huge, it's just taken a long time to find it.

May 10, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Pics were in the Chicago Tribune on Wed. Just four fragments about the size of your head. They had to totally guess where these pieces fit into the coffin, I would think.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 07:33 AM
    A little guessing and a lot of knowledge of how tombs and "coffins" of that period were is how they do that. It's like "Lucy"s" skull that is so famous... reconstructed from only a few fragments:
    Lucy Skull and Skeleton Recronstruction

May 10, 2007, 08:07 AM
    When you see the pics you'll understand my skepticism. If you cut a 2x4 into 20 pieces and throw out 15 pieces how would you put the remaining pieces in order? Lucy was a piece of cake compared to the coffin. Check this out Baptist Press - Herod the Great's tomb reportedly found - News with a Christian Perspective says there were hundreds of pieces but the pics I saw only showed 4 pieces. Guees the others are in the big warehouse like the ark.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I think I found it. Check out the #5 picture at this link:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mepagenews-utl

Is that the one you saw?

May 10, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Good man, that's the pic (5 pieces not 4). Just how many ways can you move those 5 pieces and still fall into the pattern of the coffin? Knowledge, experience, hard work and some guessing!
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Knowledge, experience, hard work and some guessing!
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It would not surprise me if they find lots more pieces and end up seeing that this initial "guestimate" is very very close to what it looked like.

If the subject of Biblical Archaeology interests you, you can subscribe to the Biblical Archaeological Society newsletter (it's free) here:
    Biblical Archaeology Society Newsletter

Great stuff!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad news [ 5 Answers ]

Can you poop out tapeworm?

News article: [ 32 Answers ]

I just read this and here is a link. I think it is a pretty cool story. Dreamed up phone number leads man to a bride - Yahoo! Canada News

King tut's tomb [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find out what objects was found in king tut's tomb. Especially what skin care treament was in it. Does anyone know?

Tragic news... [ 45 Answers ]

We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as...

Tragic news... [ 23 Answers ]

We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as...

View more questions Search