Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelleness7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Wedding etiquette
    Is it okay to wear a black dress/like a cocktail dress to an evening wedding?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Here is a link for you: There may be lots of advice out there for you.

http://fashion.about.com/cs/tipsadvi...ddingguest.htm
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 3, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Some traditions stand the test of time and some don't. I wouldn't be inclined to wear black at a wedding, evening or otherwise, unless I ran with, say, a sophisticated urban crowd where black was common. To be the first at it would be subject to disapproval so can you at all gauge how frequent that little black dress in is this crowd? As for the cocktail dress part, watch that its not too sexy. Sexy is the wrong tone for a wedding in my view unless you are tacky enough to treat the occasion as a potential dating pool opportunity, which I don't think you are.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Do not wear white at all because then you will be competing with the bride, which I hope you do not want to do. (;
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2006, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelleness7
    I would say YES.
    I've worn a black dress to an evening wedding. Most people where dressed in black.
    Black dresses or suits. Just DO NOT wear white.
    Only the bride should wear white.
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Sep 4, 2006, 04:07 AM
    This depends on how closely you want to follow TRADITIONAL rules of etiquette.

Personally, I wish more people would; it makes the world a more pleasant place.

If you ARE interested in traditional etiquette, then the answer is "No". Under no circumstances may a lady wear black to a wedding, unless she is in mourning.

A cocktail dress is also problematic. The proper attire for an evening wedding is, of course, evening wear. But some "cocktail" dresses could pass for that, so it depends on the dress.

The best thing to do if you are not sure about what to wear to a function is to ask your hostess, or, in the case of a wedding, the bride or her mother or sister.
    rosarebada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 08:37 PM
    A recent "Sex in the City" formal wedding scene showed all four gals in black cocktail dresses. For me that's a definitive answer! The NO-Black tradition was to avoid appearing to mourn the wedding. Now days everyone knows the difference between Fancy-Black and Funeral-Black.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 09:07 PM
    My wife would absolutely wear a black cocktail dress to an evening wedding, especially if it were a more "sophisticated crowd"... you can dress it up and not look like a funeral.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2006, 12:18 AM
    Exactly KP. Black doesn't need to be a mourning colour. You can Jazz it up with nice jewelry, and a great hairstyle, and subtle make-up.
    starryeyed Posts: 49, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I agree - it depends on what type of dress and what type of wedding... But asking sounds good to me... I don't think anyone would mind that - it's quite normal to ask for dress code...
    mcurtis8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Yes, it is actually becoming more popular

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Wedding Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My sister's daughter is getting married soon. Sister is widowed and dating a guy (for several months). Sister wants Date to sit with her in the first pew (Sister will be walked down the aisle to sit in first pew). Daughter says it is her wedding and she does not want date to sit in the first pew...

Tree Trimming Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My neighbor has a very large bradford pear tree in their front yard that is planted about 5' from our property line. This neighbor does not trim this tree and the tree has overgrown so much that a large limb protrudes to our drive way over our parked cars. We have asked these neighbors in the past...

Bad neighbor etiquette [ 9 Answers ]

My house is in a thick forest in Florida and we are experiencing a severe drought this year. Wildfires are common. Friday night my neighbor held a Memorial Day party that was, for lack of a better word to describe it, like Hee Haw revisited. I don't mind the loud music or beer-lagered guests or...

View more questions Search