Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Nov 1, 2005, 09:25 PM
    Ear mites
    Hi

Our lab is itching his left ear quite a bit and shakes his head. There is a slight odor and there is debris in both ears. I called the vet and she said that it could be ear mites. How can we check for this? Is there anything that we could do for him from home or should we take him to the vet asap? And how do dogs get ear mites? Or could it be an allergy or come from swimming in the inlet and creeks this past weekend? I was reading about using water and vinegar to keep a dog's ear clean. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks for your help! :)
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2005, 10:08 PM
    Try typing in ear mites in the site search area, there are some others who have had some good answers. I've never had this problem, wish I could be a better help. It must be hard to cope with watching what you describe and harder on your dog. I tend to overreaction, so I'd probably go to the emergency vet as it's nighttime here. Others will probably be helpful soon on this site.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Ears
    Hi,
    I would not hesitate in taking your dog to a Vet. You need a Professional opinion on what the problem is, and how to take care of it.
    It could also be a bad ear infection, and if it is, then putting ear mite medicine in the ear could only make it worse.
    Please take your dog to a Vet, and find out what to do.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Nov 3, 2005, 08:13 AM
    We took our dog to the vet last night and it turns out he has a yeast Infection. The vet gave us some cream to use for the next 2 weeks and he wants to see him after that. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? He swims quite regularly, but we haven't been drying inside his ears. Also should we keep him out of the water for the next few weeks? Thanks.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Nov 3, 2005, 08:17 AM
    I think I'd keep him out of the water for awhile, did the vet say if it was an allergic reaction to something that caused it? Here is a page that tells the whys and how's of yeast infection in a dog.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._the_skin.html

I hope it helps.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2005, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aj55
    we took our dog to the vet last night and it turns out he has a yeast Infection. The vet gave us some cream to use for the next 2 weeks and he wants to see him after that. What can i do to prevent this from happening again? He swims quite regularly, but we havent been drying inside his ears. Also should we keep him out of the water for the next few weeks? Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know, aj55. I feel better knowing you've helped him this way.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 09:23 AM
    I am surprised the vet suggested ear mites with debris in the ear. As in this case, usually excess wax means some kind of an infection, and a trip to the vet for medicine.

I struggle with my Aster and her ear infections. I can't bear to deny her her swims. They are essential to being out in the field in warm weather. I am trying a program of preventative ear cleaning when we get back. I use water and vinegar, maybe 3:1. I clean the outer ears with a cotton ball, and then go inside the ear canal with Q-tips.

A real case of ear mites is one of the few things I would suggest treating yourself without a vet visit. They produce a red, itchy ear inside, but usually no excessive wax. Much odor usually means an infection. A knock you down one always is an infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My kitten has worms/ear mites [ 6 Answers ]

:-/ Hi! I have an 8 week old female kitten who was born in a rabbit barn (so I was told). When we went to pick her up I noticed her brother and an older cat were absolutely ravenous. I brought in 3 packets of the kitten food I bought for (now named) my Lacey. They went crazy trying to get at...

Spider mites in our house [ 3 Answers ]

We have spider mites all over the inside and outside of our house. We have no house plants and no landscapeing outside. A friend in the bug biz. Says they sometimes are in the lumber when they build new houses and get in that way after a while. I have a baby and don't want to risk her health but...

My kitty has mites and now I do [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a himilayan kitten. When I got home I looked him over he was bold all on his tummy,back legs and a little bit of the front legs I also found out a few days later he has mites I am pretty sure they are ear mites because his ears are full of black so I started treting him with...

View more questions Search