Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluwys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 05:44 AM
    One sick dog and one healthy dog, Healthy dog quit eating
    I have two dogs, a male bassett and a femal black lab mix. Ever since the basset got sick last week and went blind in one eye my healthy dog has quit eating. She wants outside all the time and sits at the door when not outside. The healthy dog will only eat treats and not her regular food that we have fed her since she was a pup. Can anyone tell me what is going on with her? The sick dog is slowly recovering and getting used to being blind in one eye and has no problem cleaning up both food dishes, hers and his. But the black lab mix refuses to eat her regular food and will only take treats. Can anyone tell me what is going on with her and how to get things back to normal?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 06:39 AM
    Lab mix probably sensed a change in the dynamics of the household when the other dog became ill; they are probably friends and react as we would in a similar situation. Stop the treats. If you know for certain she doesn't have any underlying health issues, stop giving her the treats; she won't stay off her regular food long and as soon as she realizes the other dog is back to normal, and there are no more treats, everything will be fixed.

Tick
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
    Your healthy dog is reacting differently because the other dog, and probably everyone in the home, is acting differently with the sick dog. Dogs will also act weird if their packmate has been away. If your dog spent any time in the hospital, the smell of the hospital will definitely trigger strange behavior from the other dogs..

IGNORE HER! Make sure her needs are being met, and that she is pottying outside, but ignore the behavior you don't want to see, such as the needing to go outside continuously. If she sits by the door, call her over to you and try to keep her next to you.

To get her to eat, stop feeding her treats. Healthy dogs do not starve themselves... Feed her her food at the times you have always fed your dogs. Keep your routine the same, and she will come around.
    bluwys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 10:26 AM
    I took your advice and did just that. No more treats and we ignored her antics at the door. She is now back to being with her buddy and life is as normal as it will ever be. She is back to eating her meals at the normal times and hanging out like she always has. We are still waiting for the in house playing to start once again, but I think the basset still needs to get used to the blind side first. Thanks for your advice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Dogs, cats, any large animal with more extra senses then we humans, always learn to cope more accurately and quicker then us when they are faced with disabilities. That is my experience with horses and dogs, so I am sure your lovely little Bassett will be good to go soon with one eye and run circles around the lab.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I put healthy weight on my young dog? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a silky terrier that is 1.5 years old. My little guy is healthy and active. My vet says he is border line thin but healthy and physcally fit. She told me to keep an eye on his wieght so he doesn't lose any more. I do not want to comprise my dogs health in anyway, but everyone who...

Dog is underweight - What is the healthy way to get her to gain some weight? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Boxer. She is a fantastic dog. However, I am concerned that she is underweight. From the day we got her, she has not been food motivated. Initially, I tried the feed her 3 times a day and only leave it out for 15 minutes. The theory goes that they will learn that the food...

My adult healthy dog urinates in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why my healthy 2yr old Boxer dog will wet on my carpet shortly after going to the garden. Charlie sleeps in our bedroom and will not urinate in there but having gone into the garden after midnight he will wake us at 7am, go into the garden again to relieve himself. Instead of...

What is more healthy for dog to eat? [ 12 Answers ]

I just watched a documentry on dried dog food, and I'm shocked! Do you know how much processed garbage goes into the food, they get the worst picks of the food, rotton fruit and veggies, end pieces of meat, anything they can't sell for meat goes to pet food. How can people say pet food is...

Healthy alternative to dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Please do yourself a favor and check out the 2 sites so you'll be better informed about what is really in dog food and choices you can make so your pet will become healthy and whole. They are: http://www.belfield.com (article Food Not Fit for a Pet) and http://www.api4animals.org (article What's...

View more questions Search