Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tbenn23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
    How can I sign a birth certificate if I am not the father
    I had a dna test done on my other child's father he is not the father of my 8yr old but he signed the birth certificate can his name be removed a my boyfriend signs his name on it
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 08:19 PM
    I will assume he thought he was father and it was not done due to fraud.

But the answer is maybe, some states in US allow, others will not. it will depend on where you live and perhaps if legal father (one on birth certificate agree) you will or should have a lawyer for this
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2013, 05:03 AM
    Any question on law needs to include a general locale as laws vary by area. After 8 years it may be too late to challenge paternity.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 06:30 AM
    And... Is your current boyfriend actually the father? If not, the only way to legally put him on the birth certificate is to find the biological father, have him release his parental rights and have your boyfriend adopt the child. That will probably require that you MARRY him first.

You can't just run around changing your child's legal parent when you switch men for yourself.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
    Was this question removed from another thread? Because it's sort of hard to decipher; the title suggests that OP is a male, however the question suggests that OP is the mother.

As Synnen indicates, changing the birth certificate is not the mechanism OP needs to adjust her domestic situation. That is one of the purposes for marriage and adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if you sign the birth certificate and you are not the father [ 4 Answers ]

My son signed the birth certicate of the child he thought was his, but after the dna test proved he isn't, how can he go about taking his name off the cetificate?

If not the father can he still sign birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

If not the father can he still sign the birth certificate

I'm a soon to be father but my ex won't let me sign th birth certificate? [ 8 Answers ]

Im 19 and my ex is 16 her parents don't want the baby to have my last name and she don't eather she said if my last name gets put on there then she won't but if not she will I don't know what to do I want to sighn the certificate and it have my last name please someone help me asap pleas.

Father rights to sign birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

What are a fther's rights in the hospital after his child is born when he is not married to her mother and her mother has introduced another man into the picture. Does he have the right to demand to sign it and can be prevented by the mother from signing it?

NYC last name change, father did not sign birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I would like to no how do I change my son last name. I gave my son his father last name but his father did not sigh the birth certificate. I want my son to have my last name how do I go about changing. His father is a dead beat found out he has 10 kid and he don't support non of them. My son...

View more questions Search