Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 5, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Critique my pictures?
    Still getting the hang of my camera and the different ways to shoot. We're going to Disney World in November and I thought I'd practice some shots of fireworks. Any photo buffs want to take a look and give me some pointers or critique? Thanks...

Flickr: hiltyjason's Photostream
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Ok... here's my take... All those pics are great. They have great color, great focus, and enough artistic flair to make me wonder if they were stolen from someone else (lol). If you do half as good with taking pictures in Disney, you'll be doing fine.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 01:51 PM
    They look pretty good. One thing that is missing from them since this is the internet is a watermark. Also it looks like you could use a good skyfilter for your camera. It will enhance the tones when you have a large amount of sky in them. You might also want to try a polarizing filter. They make stackable ones so you can control the amount of light that enters the camera. Nice job on the fireworks. For me if I had to be critical some of the picture angles are a bit off for my taste. But in general great job!!
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Also for the geeks in all of us.

1) camera type

2) lens

3) exposure
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2013, 01:53 PM
    You have massive talent. Keep up the good work.

Jul 5, 2013, 01:56 PM
    Thanks guys. I can assure you Odinn that I took them... those that are posted were the ones out of about 160 that I took that WERE in focus! A polarizing filter is definitely on my list of things to get. And I guess I will look into watermarking that stuff as well... lol, didn't quite think about that.

I'm with you also on some of the angles... but, with kids I had to find a spot that was good for them and stick with it.

Jul 5, 2013, 02:00 PM
    "Also for the geeks in all of us.

1) camera type

2) lens

3) exposure"

Good call. We have a Nikon D3100 and I was actually shooting with my 18-55mm because I knew I was going to have to zoom in and out some... espcically not knowing where the shots were going to be made. ISO was kept at 100 with my fstop being around 8-10. I started with a 2 second shutter speed but after a few pics I knocked it up to 3.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Thanks guys. I can assure you Odinn that I took them...those that are posted were the ones out of about 160 that I took that WERE in focus! A polarizing filter is definitely on my list of things to get. And I guess I will look into watermarking that stuff as well...lol, didn't quite think about that.

I'm with you also on some of the angles...but, with kids I had to find a spot that was good for them and stick with it.
    It doesn't present a problem. I was just trying to comply with what you had asked. An honest (my opinion only) critique of the pictures. I have been doing photography for almost 40 years now. So I felt in trying to be honest you can learn from it. You did great. Just remember regardless of what I have to say about what you shoot. Its your eye that brings into view the unique form that portrays the world as you see it. Don't ever let anyone's opinion take that away from you.

Jul 5, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    It doesnt present a problem. I was just trying to comply with what you had asked. An honest (my opinion only) critique of the pictures. I have been doing photography for almost 40 years now. So I felt in trying to be honest you can learn from it. You did great. Just remember regaurdless of what I have to say about what you shoot. Its your eye that brings into view the unique form that portrays the world as you see it. Dont ever let anyones opinion take that away from you.
    I appreciate that. Art is art and I do understand that... I do have talent in illustrating, however I am a perfectionist and if I can ever pick up pointers I'm definitely open to them all. Especially being new to photography within this year I am pretty overwhelmed with how I need to do things.

Jul 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Oh, also I use View NX 2 for my post edits... however I'm looking to purchase Capture NX 2.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
    I appreciate that. Art is art and I do understand that...I do have talent in illustrating, however I am a perfectionist and if I can ever pick up pointers I'm definitely open to them all. Especially being new to photography within this year I am pretty overwhelmed with how I need to do things.
    Your off to a good start. You made a wise purchase and invested in your skill. Now that your starting to take over the drivers seat there is no limit to what you can produce. Lets take a sec to look at the fireworks pictures. The ones where you show the full bloom of the firework are actually sellable pictures. I know that's not what was intended but when you start doing it more then pretty soon all of your pictures become "sellable" in the sense that they are not only quality but something that carries a piece of you in them. That is why at some point I strongly suggest watermarking your pictures for your benefit.

Jul 5, 2013, 02:32 PM
    I appreciate that and am very encouraged by the responses. Perhaps someday I'll get enough experience under my belt to start debunking some picture claims in the paranormal forum ;)
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 04:34 PM
    I appreciate that and am very encouraged by the responses. Perhaps someday I'll get enough experience under my belt to start debunking some picture claims in the paranormal forum ;)
    Paranormal? What's that ?

;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 04:45 PM
    When it comes to taking photographs, I do the best I can with the crappy camera I can afford (5 megapixels that eats batteries like a woman going through PMS, eats chocolate). I don't know much about taking great pictures, but I know what I like, and I like your pictures.

I've taken photos and video of fireworks before, and it's not easy to get a good picture of them. You took great pictures of them.

Long post short... er, great pictures. :)
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 7, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Here is something unique. A way to use high tech to get great pictures. This was taken using one of the mini 6 bladed helicopters to shoot this footage.

Grasshopper 325m Test | Single Camera (Hexacopter) - YouTube

Jul 8, 2013, 06:11 PM
    That was pretty fantastic!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Critique my paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am a returning college student and need someone to critique my essay. This is elementary English so it's not a very long or detailed paper. It has been over ten years since I sat in a classroom and English was my worst subject.

Critique my poetry? [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe, Probably “After our talk, after your crying, I asked you if you were okay. You paused and told me, 'Maybe… Probably'.” I know you're hurting Your mind needs some sorting You tell me everything's fine “Don't worry”, you say But I understand you need time

Need your critique [ 27 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I just saw a contest in my local paper. They're asking people to send in their short stories, essays, anything that they've written. The prize is $100 and the chance to write an article every month for their paper. I wrote this little essay which I plan to send in. I could use...

Essay Critique [ 34 Answers ]

Hi! I am having a hard time with a professor because he does not like my overly complicated writing style. Could someone in the know about these things please read my essay and tell my how you would make it simpler? Thanks so much The Rest Cure: The Prescription of Conscription to Conformity ...

Critique my poem [ 8 Answers ]

Don't look too close should you see love's beauty burning bright Stand back a bit then look once more at such a glorious sight. When viewed so near it might distort and fool the naked eye. And everything you saw at first was nothing but a lie.

View more questions Search