Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sean92128 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
    What if presidential candidate dies?
    What happens if, after the convention, before the election, the presidential candidate dies? Who is the pres cand? Does that change if it is in Sept, a few days after the convention, as opposed to Nov 1st? Does it vary by party?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Why would you even ask this question?
    Wanting anyone dead is kind of ridiculus.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Actually that is a very good question.
    What would happen in this case ?
    Would they reschedule the election so they can select a new candidate or would it simply default to the next in line.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Hello sean:

I think the party would call an emergency convention to nominate a new candidate.

excon
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Sorry.
    It just sounded like you want a member of one of the parties dead.

I agree with what excon said, they'd probaby just nominate a new candidate, probably the runner up for the party. Like if McCaine were to win the republican nomination and then were to die of a heart attack or something and Romeny lost the nomination by a little bit then Romney would get the new nomination.
    Of course the members of the other party would probably have something to say about the new nomination saying it's unconstitutional or something.

Feb 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
    No, I don't want anybody dead... but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't think about it. I don't think that they could postpone the election, I think that would be unconstitutional. But, if it happened, say, 3 or 4 days before the election, I don't think they would have any choice but to proceed with the vp nominee being promoted... hence, with the probable nominee coming from, oldest nominee, [McCain], a black guy and Hillary, the possibility of a candidate dying either from natural causes or from a nut job has to be a lot higher than any previous election. Maybe it makes the choice of a vp candidate more important.

By the way, I've called the Republican National Committee, tge Democratic National Committee, my 2 senators, my rep in the house, the law school at Georgetown Univ and my local newpaper political reporter, and asked all of them. No one has given me an answer. I am just trying to find out the answer, as a matter of civic responsibility.

I am trying to find out the fact.. not the opinion. To see if there anything dictated in the Dem or Rep by laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    sorry.
    It just sounded like you want a member of one of the parties dead.

I agree with what excon said, they'd probaby just nominate a new candidate, probably the runner up for the party. Like if McCaine were to win the republican nomination and then were to die of a heart attack or something and Romeny lost the nomination by a little bit then Romney would get the new nomination.
    Of course the members of the other party would probably have something to say about the new nomination saying it's unconstitutional or something.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 3, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Sean-

I tried looking up presidential candidate protocol without much success. I think what happens is that being days away from the convention out of respect the nomination of the deceased person's name is still on ballots, however the second total amount of delegates awarded gets the nomination.

Bobby

Feb 3, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the opinion... I would think if time allowed, the candidates name would be replaced, but I don't know. Someone I asked asked me what happens if the president-elect dies. I assumed it would be the vice president elect promoted, but this person thought the winning party's National committee would actually select the next president.

I don't know, I wish some one could give a definitive go to site with "official" answers, not opinions

Feb 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sean92128
    Thanks for the opinion.... I would think if time allowed, the candidates name would be replaced, but I don't know. Someone I asked asked me what happens if the president-elect dies. I assumed it would be the vice president elect promoted, but this person thought the winning party's National committee would actually select the next president.

I don't know, I wish some one could give a definitive go to site with "official" answers, not opinions
    Correct, it would be the VP, if the sitting President passed away. That's law, not a National committee decision though. As for the original question in the delegate process, of course the candidate's name would be replaced in the end, unless we have a resurrection and by the looks of McCain don't count on it. :) I have to agree about opinions not being definitive here, including yours. If I can find the Democratic or Republican official position for protocol I'll let you know. Tomder's a political junkie and he might be able to shed some light on the subject after the Super Bowl.

Good luck,
    Bobby

Feb 3, 2008, 06:43 PM
    The president elect is not a sitting president... from Nov 4th until Jan 20th, the incumbent is still the president, and whoever was elected in Nov is not the president, but is the president elect. Someone I asked, who works for the government, brought up the subject, and his opinion, but he said only an opinion, was that during the pos election, pre inaugaration period, there is no constitutional law as to what would happen in the event of the president elect [not yet the president] died

Feb 3, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Sean,

Are you concerned about president of a Democratic/Republican committee overseeing the convention or The President of the US? Concerning election process which is your original question, here is a link to delegate laws and by laws for the election process.

The Democratic National Convention

Bobby

Feb 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sean92128
    The president elect is not a sitting president.... from Nov 4th until Jan 20th, the incumbent is still the president, and whoever was elected in Nov is not the president, but is the president elect. Someone I asked, who works for the government, brought up the subject, and his opinion, but he said only an opinion, was that during the pos election, pre inaugaration period, there is no constitutional law as to what would happen in the event of the president elect [not yet the president] died

As for acting President of the US, yes there is a constitutional law concerning VP next in succession.

United States presidential line of succession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bobby

Feb 3, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Thanks!!

Finally a definitive answer on one of the questions! So the vice-president elect becomes the president-elect and ultimately the president.

I read the link to the DNC, and I didn't see anything referencing what happens if the nominee goes down. Did I miss it?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 12:11 PM
    OK here is what would happen if the nominee died
    :

Both parties allow for this possibilities in their rules .The national committee of either party would meet to select a replacement . This is found in Article III of the Democrat rules and in rule 9 of the Republican bylaws .

The most recent example of this was not due to death but resignation . In 1972 Democrat George McGovern selected Thomas Eagleton as Veep canididate .Eagleton resigned after it was revealed that he had been hospitalized in the past for mental strain. The Democrat national committee chose Sergeant Shriver as his replacement .

1912 VP James Sherman died after being nominated for a 2nd term . The RNC selected Nicholas Butler to replace him ;but they did so after the general election.

If the candidate kicked it after the election but before the electors meet then they would proceed as above knowing that electors are not bound to vote for the designated candidate .

If the candidate died after the electors meet then the 20th amendment kicks in.( Read section 3)
    If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Feb 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Thanks-

Found it!

The Republican rules are a little more descriptive than the Dems.
    jaxparrothead Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Actually, you guys are forgetting that the General Election in early November does not actually elect the next President. The Presidency is decided by the Electoral College not by popular vote. Therefore, legally, one does not become President-elect until after the Electoral College meets.

The Electors meet in their state capitals on the first first Monday after the second Wednesday in December to cast their ballots. The votes are "counted" during a joint session of the Congress on January 6th. That is when we actually have a President-elect. About 1/2 of the states have laws requiring the Elector's to cast their vote for whomever they have pledged to vote for. Therefore, they could have to legally vote for a dead person.
    pretzelgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I was curious about this too. It took me less than five minutes on Google to find answers (at least with regards to the two major US political parties).

According to Rule 9 of the Republican party (Republican • National • Committee) only the Republican National Committee is authorized to fill "any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise" for the presidential candidate. The committee re-assembles. According to rule 8-B, they must give five days notice for this meeting. Committee members "representing any state shall be entitled to cast the same number of votes as said state was entitled to cast at the national convention." They continue until a new candidate is chosen with a majority of votes.

Democrats have a similar process (http://www.democrats.org/pdfs/charter.pdf). Article Two, Section 7(c) of the Democratic Party rules stipulate that "a special meeting to fill a vacancy on the National ticket shall be held on the call of the Chairperson, who shall set the date for such meeting in accordance with the procedural rules provided for in Article Two, Section 8(d) of these Bylaws." Article Three, Section 1(c) of the rules state only the Democratic National COmmittee may fill vacancies in the nominations for president and vice-president.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Play The Candidate Match Game [ 26 Answers ]

The following quiz asks you 11 questions on various issues. Answer them and see how the presidential candidates match up with your point of view. Candidate match game - USATODAY.com

Candidate Issue Chart [ 9 Answers ]

2008 Presidential Election Candidates on the Issues Anyone interested in looking over this candidate chart, it may help. It does not include 3rd party candidates, which I'll search as the data becomes available. As usual it's difficult to find a candidate that matched one-hundred percent, but...

How do I introduce a candidate to a multi million pound organisation [ 1 Answers ]

I am seeking to introduce a candidate to a multi million pound law firm and I am tongue tied can anyone help me with a template?

Metamorphosis of a candidate [ 2 Answers ]

We've all heard how "George Bush's war" changed from WMD's to whatever it's said to be now, how Romney and Giuliani have switched their views on certain social issues, but what about Hillary? It wasn't that long ago that Hillary was standing by her vote on the Iraq war, that she did what she...

Am I A Candidate? [ 26 Answers ]

Don't laugh. I would like to know if I can learn some lite forms of martial arts for self-defense. I think this way because I do not always have a gun handy. I do carry a bat ( short bat ) in my car though. However, I am interested in a one on one Scenario. The funny part is that I will be 54...

View more questions Search