Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    preppygal19 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Marriage and legal citizenship
    My boyfriend and I are supposed to be getting married feb 14 2009. He is from jamaica and came here on a track scholarship. He has been married twice both ending in less than a year. He keeps all of his legal paperwork in his car that I do not have access to. He also tells me that after we get married we have to go fill out some paperwork but not to worry that's its not a big deal.. Iam new to this I don't know what the laws are on how long do you have to be married for him to become a legal citizen? Or, does he have to get married to someone because he is finished with school to stay here? Is it illegal for him to marry me for that reason and not tell me.. Please provide me with any information you can so I don't end up making a big mistake..

Thank you.
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2008, 04:36 PM

Of course, I'm guessing but... before you do anything... RUN, don't walk and consider yourself lucky you didn't go through with any kind of marriage to this guy. He's using you to get to stay in the country.

His school time is probably up before next year... he needs you to extend his stay.

Married twice... doesn't that ring some bell in your head?

Just because you marry the guy doesn't automatically get him American citizenship, nor does it qualify him for a green card which enables him to stay in the country.
    But, it makes his obtaining a green card a whole lot easier.
    He would then prove he is supporting an American--you---his wife.
    He could still be deported.

His two marriages, once immigration finds out about that, they will figure he is using you.
    In any case, that is, I think, reason enough to not let him stay in the country. His mores might be used as a reason to not let him stay.
    He needs you.

Papers... in his car. Undoubtedly immigration papers he needs you to sign... you would be supporting him... even if he earns more than you. Your job would be the one used for his support.
    As an immigrant, he does not have the right to work in the States unless he gets permission.
    As a supporter of you, he probably gets such permission in quicker time.

Again, listen to your head, not your heart... RUN AWAY... AND RUN QUICK.

If he gets deported---or is told to leave the country by a certain date, if he gets you to enter into a marriage, that goes out the window... maybe.
    They might say he married you only to stay in the country... and kick him out in any case.

Talk to U.S. Immigration yourself---don't tell him. Ask about his legal right to stay if you marry him.
    Get the facts before any marriage, not after.

After that, you might be screwed.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 05:46 PM

How long is his scholarship? Since you don't know about his personal info at all, it's hard to guess. He may hold a J-1 visa or F-1 visa. Marriage to US citizen is not illegal, not prohibited, but it may bring up a lot of hassles to you.

Normally scholarship students are subject to 2 years rules which means he must return to his home country for 2 years before he is eligible to apply for any US visas.

If he is not a scholarship student, his visa might have been expired long time ago, which in this case you will need an immigration attorney to help filing for adjustment of status because he would be barred from entering US 5-10 years.

Either case, you must be prepared to pay approx $2K for application fees plus $10-15K for attorney fees to get him legal.

As a immigrant visa sponsor, still married or divorced, you would be responsible for him. So in case he receives welfare, the government will come after you. This responsibility ends when...

* he works and pays taxes for 10 years, or
    * he returns to his home country permanently, or
    * he becomes naturalized.

From my experience, this is not a good sign. He has something hiding from you and his intention is obvious. Married twice and ended in less than a year reflects a scary sides that you probable can't imagine. Moreover, if you file a petition for him, his previous marriages would be brought to USCIS's attention. Once the red flag is there, it's very hard to obtain green card.

If he rushes about getting married, tell him that you want him to return to his home country as specified on the 2 years rules of the scholarship, and you will file a petition for spouse visa for him... and see what his reaction is.

If he gets mad at you, terminate this relationship immediately. If he physically abuses you, call 911 and do not drop the charge.. ever! Let ICE send him back home.

On personal note: If the guy is dishonest and not willing to open for any discussion, don't waste your time with him.
    preppygal19 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Marriage and legal citizenship 2
    He came here in 2002 and has been out of school since 05. He has said to me that he has a friend that is also from jamaica has a wife and a baby but recently had 2 go back 2 jamaica for 2 years because of the type of green card he has. I asked him if he would have to do that and he told me no that his was different. About the money issue. He has 2 jobs and brings in pretty good money but I really don't understand why he would work 16 hours a day when he has a bachlors degree and I feel that he could go out and get 1 job that makes enough money for him not 2 have 2 work so much. I asked him about his other marriages. The first one he said that he really did love her and they were together almost 2 years before they got married. But after the marriage he said that they never agreed on anything and eventually they both agreed to get a divorce. The second one he says that he was not involved with her and he never loved her he just did it for tax purposes for her because she was getting in2 some kind of trouble. Both marriages were done at the court house. He told me that he wanted to actually have a wedding this time because he knows this one is real and that he does want to spend the rest of his life with me. I'm not doubting that he loves me or has feelings for me but I just don't understand why someone would jump into a relationship and never tell them about there legal status. I feel if I was 2 do that to someone they would immediately divorce me for not ever being honest with them in the first place. So needless to say I want to thank you guys for your help and I've got a lot of researching in his car to do. Because either way I want to know the truth..
    lndianskin1 Posts: 24, Reputation: 0

Sep 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
    You sound like a really sweet caring person and he is lucky to have you. But to answer your question...

Uummm... I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying or asking. I suppose you are in love with a man from Jamaica that lives here in the US with a green card. He has been married twice already. Second marriage was to help a friend. Has a degree that he is not using.

Ok listen, sweetheart... You said yourself. That you are having doubts because he will not fully disclose his legal status. That is NOT something you hide from your future wife. I'm going to assume that this is going to be your first marriage. The reason I say that is because, people that have been married before know fully what it is like to have doubts before the marriage and then to find out they had every reason to doubt. Go with your gut. It's telling you to dig deeper.

Have you met his WHOLE family?

How do you feel about his second marriage... (Think about it, was SHE in trouble or HE. Anyway he still admits to fraudrantly marrying to fraud the government.

You are correct when you talk about honesty. That is very very important. You sound like a smart lady. When a man truly loves you, he spills his gut to keep you.
    With all the thing that go on in a normal marriage, that last thing you want worry about is your husband legal status. That is something you should already know right now.

Blesses, and you take care.:D
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 12:12 AM

1. He came here in 2002, after the SEVIS was established and quit school in 2005... it means he's already out of status for at least 3 year. Student visas are automatically revoked if the students fail to attend class for 5 months even the visa is not yet expired... and the individuals are subject to deportation.

2. He told you his friend who also married an Amercan wife had to go back to Jamaica because it's different type of visa. Big Lies.. his friend was deported and the wife had to file an immigrant visa for him.

3. He has 2 jobs but you don't understand why he works hard when he has a bachelor degree. He's can't benefit from degrees he has because he is illegal. To apply for decent jobs this day, at least you need to have employment authorization and state issued driver's license. If he does not have any documents, he must take any job offer that most of the time pay less than minimum wage.

4. He told you he never loved her he just did it for tax purposes for her because she was getting into some kind of trouble... This sounds fishy to me. When someone has an issue with IRS no matter it's his/her fault or not, the best thing to do is to keep spouse, partners, etc. away from this mess..... not run into it. I am sure that there is something behind this story...

I can keep going on and on... the worst scenario is he may have a long rap sheet and this issue will bring troubles to you in the future if you decided to marry him. Since you already knew about consequences that will occur, be smart and move on with your life. You sound a nice, decent person... don't ruin your future, your life with a guy like this.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Good Luck.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 01:33 PM

Yes something sounds very wrong here, you can get in big trouble yourself for agreeing to a marriage of convenience. Meaning it sounds like you are getting married ONLY to get him a legal status in the US, that is against immigration laws and if the Immigration authorities can prove it he will be deported and you could face fines.

Definitely forget about it, he just wants that green card and will disappear once he has it... or worse yet you will have to support him for several years until your obligation expires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to verify if someone has legal citizenship? [ 14 Answers ]

My brother is dating a girl from Morocco. She currently lives in the US and my brother wants to marry her only after a short period. My family and I think she is using him in order to become a US citizen, but we do not know how to prove if she is already. She has only been in the US for one...

Greek Citizenship through Marriage? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on getting married to Greek/American girlfriend, and I need to know how long it will take me to get the Greek citizenship (my girlfriend holds both Am and Gr)? One detail is that I'm stateless, and the only type of papers I hold is a SYRIAN TRAVEL DOCUMENT (issued for Palestinian...

How to verify legal citizenship? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I verify someone has become a legal citizen? They have been here over 30 years from Panama, but I have doubts they are legally here. How do I check?

Legal Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

This young lady came to the United States from the Philippines eight years ago. I need to know if she is a legal citizen of the United States - if not, what do I do?

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

View more questions Search