Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motorheadbrian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 04:13 PM
    5 hp briggs wiring
    Hello, I need to know how to replace the wires on a 5hp briggs horizontal shaft engine. It came off a snowblower with the wires all brittle and it isn’t getting any spark. The plug is OK and so is the coil so I think it’s the wires. If you could, please tell me where I need to run the new wires to in order to have a way for it to get spark and run, and than kill it. I have tried many combinations but still not a tickle when I pull the cord. Thanks, brian
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2005, 06:47 PM
    Does it still use points or no? Owners manuals can be gotten at the briggs website, should tell you. As for the kill wire, the one wire hooked to the coil is the kill wire. Pull it off then try... even though the coil may look good, it can be the opposite. So the spark plug isn't fouled? Make sure the coil is gapped( I use a dollar bill, till the bill slides out with a little tugging, but doesn't rip, then spin the flywheel to make sure it isn't rubbing) plug is gapped right ( .30 ) spark plug wire isn't chaffing on the shroud, shorting it. Though if I remember right , the kill wire should go from the coil, to a spot on the engine on the back under the gastank, on to a little kill switch. Pull start not electric start right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

16.5 briggs won't run [ 4 Answers ]

16.5 Briggs ohv won't run has gas but won't run if I spray starter fluid it will run briefly this engine has a fuel solenoid under the fuel bowl. Rich

Briggs 14.5 OHV won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14.5hp riding lawn mower that when you try to start the flywheel won't turn or will make a slow turn and pause then another slow turn and stop. I cleaned the ground cables, replaced the battery, carb, and spark plug. Trying to jump across the solenoid doesn't work either so its not...

Briggs 14.5 ohv won't run [ 5 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that has been running fine. Last week it shut off twice in the middle of cutting but started right back up. This week when I went to cut it started as normal ran for about twenty seconds and died won't start again. If I pour gas in the carb it will fire up, so I know...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search