Ask
    anibal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Writing process
    Can a topic sentence be a question?
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 15, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Hi,
    Do you mean the Heading of a Topic? You can use a question as Topic heading.

The below link will give you more informaton on this.

Writing Reader-Friendly Documents: Use useful headings
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 15, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Of course.

When crafting an essay, the topic may be an assertion or a question. Which is appropriate depends entirely on your writing style, and your personal appreciation of the subject. In general, if you have an opinion to start with, assertion is more appropriate. If you have no opinion or hypothesis, the question is more likely the correct approach. Starting from an assertion is the classical style, and you're likely more than familiar with it, so I'll focus on the question aspect here.

When approaching a topic with a question, it is very important to avoid any bias in the early stages. You have to focus on each point equally. If you are working towards a predetermined outcome, you have to hide that... otherwise, using the question becomes arrogant instead. Work at the reasonable outcome from each perspective, and you'll end up with a rational explanation for all cases. From there, you have to reconcile the reasonable outcomes with your expected outcome.

Now, if you have no hypothesis, you can avoid this... although that ignores half of the scientific method. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment in process? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi... New , but in desperate help. I received a Garnishment letter in the mail today for a medical bill from 2003.(?) -2000.00 Here's the thing- I only work 4-6 hrs a week. I go to school full-time and my daughter and I live on financial aide (student loans) and child support. Can they really...

Adoption process? [ 5 Answers ]

How long does it take to finalize an adoption? Is it finalized the day I signed the papers or is it finalized once the birthfather signs papers as well? Also does anyone know where the court proceeding would go on if The child was born in Ny but now Has been in Illonois for about 4 months??

Process [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start the process of applying

Healing Process [ 3 Answers ]

I went to my first counseling session yesterday, and it went well. It was just a bunch of questions about everything (from childhood up to present day) to lay the foundation of where my real problems stem from. As good as I feel about starting the process of mending my marriage, I feel terrible...

Process costing [ 0 Answers ]

BB, partially complete TO = 20,000 units EI = 10,000 units (materials 20% complete; conversion costs 10% complete) Started this month 25,000 Compute the number of equivalent units for materials using the weighted average method. Please help... I cannot get this! Thanks

View more questions Search