Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MorningStar73 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 02:04 AM
    Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent
    My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child support stopped in both states?
    me22469 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2008, 03:18 AM

If the child is 18 and no longer in school, you shouldn't have to pay at all, except back child support if there is any. You should only have to pay for support to the guardian that the child is living with at the time if she is still in school. If you have been paying somewhere that she is not living, the person collecting is breaking the law if not sending the money where it needs to go. You might want to contact an attorney, or Child Support Enforcement if you are going through them to make your payments.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 12:45 PM

You need to give us a few more details. Which state do you live in? If you have a NH child support order and you live in NH, it doesn't matter where the child lives, NH has continuing exclusive jurisdiction over support. That means that NH law on the termination of support will apply (you'll have to check when it ends in NH) as well as the NH child support guideline. Also, any modification of support will have to be in NH.

Any state can (and will) enforce the NH order but there is no double-dipping of course. It would also be helpful to know when the CS order were entered because the law changed about 10 years ago nationally (not exactly at the same time) and there was an older act in place before that that might still need to be looked at if there were multiple cs orders entered previously. It may not matter in your case but it can get fairly complex if you've got an old order going back 15 years or so. Prior to the current law we have in all states (UISFA) it was common and permissible to have multiple child support orders from different states and, although there was no double-dipping as such, there was a sort of complex off-setting process that applied to enforce the orders simultaneously (that we fortunately have gotten rid of under UIFSA--I know it sounds bizarre but that's the way it used to be).

Nov 28, 2008, 02:45 PM
    I live in New York State. The ex wife moved to New Hampshire about 3 yrs ago and New Hampshire took over the support case but, because I live in NY and she lives in NH it became an interstate case. According to NH the support ends 6/09 but, my daughter has recently brought a case against me in NY state. I know it's a bit confusing but, that is why I;m asking questions. As for a lawyer, that is not an option. This whole ordel has left me and my wife broke and now we are both unemployed.

Nov 28, 2008, 02:48 PM

The original CS order was issued in 1990 in NY state but, the case was transferred to NH when they moved there in 2002.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningStar73 View Post
    I live in New York State. The ex wife moved to New Hampshire about 3 yrs ago and New Hampshire took over the support case but, because I live in NY and she lives in NH it became an interstate case. according to NH the support ends 6/09 but, my daughter has recently brought a case against me in NY state. I know it's a bit confusing but, that is why I;m asking questions. As for a lawyer, that is not an option. This whole ordel has left me and my wife broke and now we are both unemployed.
    You case is pretty straightforward jurisdictionally. Since you have a NY support order and you still live in NY (and your daughter is back as well), NY still has jurisdiction over the order for purposes of modification and duration. It's only being enforced in NH - like it would be anywhere else- because your ex lives there.

For a determination of how long your child support obligation lasts you need to look to NY law. We have some people here on the board who are really good with NY state law- I'm in California and I'm not sure what NY does with terminating child support (some states have college-level support and some - like Calif.- do not).

You and your ex could stipulate that NH have jurisdiction but you'd have to do that in writing or in open court in a NY court (unlikely she'd agree if she's getting a better deal under NY's CS guideline and its rules on termination of support).

But you asked a really interesting question and that is, what if the child is still within child support age but not living with the co-parent (and of course not living with you)? Who gets the support? Again, check with someone familiar with NY law, but in California we have an appellate case that sounds a little like this and I recall the ruling was that the parent primarily supporting the child gets the support. Of course, if the child is self-supporting under our rules on termination, CS would end anyway after age 18.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
    my daughter has recently brought a case against me in NY state.
    A case for what? How do you know this? Did you receive a summons?

As far as I know a child generally cannot bring suit against a parent for support. Support is paid to the custodial parent to be used on the child's behalf. So only the mother could bring a case against you.

Nov 28, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    A case for what? How do you know this? Did you receive a summons?

As far as I know a child generally cannot bring suit against a parent for support. Support is paid to the custodial parent to be used on the child's behalf. So only the mother could bring a case against you.

I did receive a summons for child support from my daughter. My ex has nothing to do with this one. I need to know what steps I could take to have the case dropped and if there is some way I can have her emancipated. As far as I know she left my ex wife's home on her own and moved in with my nephew, her sister, and their 2 kids in NY state, working a 40 hr a week job,and not going to school. She applied for public assistance and filed a support case against me. I'm really hoping that someone here can give me some advice on how to clear this matter up. I have 4 other kids that live with me and can not properly take care of them because this mess.

Nov 28, 2008, 07:21 PM

What is the exact wording of the summons? Like I said, I don't think a child can file against you for support. It may be a matter of just going to court and presenting your proofs that you have been paying support but that she no longer lives with the custodial parent.

However, if she has legal representation you better get your own attorney or you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Nov 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What is the exact wording of the summons? Like I said, I dont think a child can file against you for support. It may be a matter of just going to court and presenting your proofs that you have been paying support but that she no longer lives with the custodial parent.

However, if she has legal representation you better get your own attorney or you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

It says and I quote
    SUMMONS SUPPORT
    Family Court of the State of New York
    In the matter of a support proceeding

Petitioner (MY daughter)
    Against
    Respondent (Myself)

BY ORDER OF THE FAMILY COURT OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK

YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED to appear before this court
    DATE/TIME
    Purpose: Arraignment
    Part
    Floor/Room
    Presiding
    A petition under Article 4 of the Family Court Act

ON failure to appear as herein directed, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

End quote.
    I hope this helps.

Nov 28, 2008, 08:05 PM

Ok the provisions of Article 4 can be found here:

duty to support spouse and child, Orange County NY divorce attorney, NY Family Court Act, Article 4, Part 1

The key for you is section 415. Since your daughter has applied for public assistance, the state is coming after you for a portion of it. What should happen when you go to the hearing, is you show that you have been paying support through NH, but since your daughter is no longer living with the custodial parent, the suppoert you were paying should cease and you should now be paying NYS which will forward the money to your daughter.

Nov 28, 2008, 08:28 PM

So in order for them to hit me with child support in NY, the support in NH would have to stop?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 08:47 PM
    A warrant issued? My gosh. This isn't a contempt proceeding is it? Are you behind in your support?

Based on what you said, in California you'd be free of any support obligation and CS would terminate. But you are in NY, so check with a NY attorney. I don't know how long CS lasts in NY in your case (we do have a board participant who probably knows and is really good, so hopefully she will post a reply).
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
    so in order for them to hit me with child support in NY, the support in NH would have to stop?
    There can only be one support order, not two. And NH doesn't have a support order against you (it can't as a matter of law). NH is only enforcing the NY order.

Nov 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    There can only be one support order, not two. And NH doesn't have a support order against you (it can't as a matter of law). NH is only enforcing the NY order.
    So NH is enforcing it for NY and NY is enforcing it for NH?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
    so NH is enforcing it for NY and NY is enforcing it for NH?
    No. Your daughter went on welfare so it's something like a modification of the existing order. Like modifying who gets the money (now the state of NY, not your ex due to welfare reimbursement).

Nov 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    No. Your daughter went on welfare so it's something like a modification of the existing order. Like modifying who gets the money (now the state of NY, not your ex due to welfare reimbursement).
    She isn't even getting welfare at the moment. The original cs case was transferred to NH and NY is collecting for NH. Is there anyway I can get this merry go round of child support to stop?

Nov 29, 2008, 06:54 AM

You are missing the points here. First NH is enforcing the NY order because your ex moved there with the daughter. At the hearing, you should be able to show proof that you were paying through NH and the judge will issue an order to NH to cease collecting.

As I said, normally the child cannot file for support, but when she applied for public assistance, the social worker, as SOP, had her file for support under Art 4, Sec 415.

You will know go to a hearing where you will show the judge that you were paying through NH. The judge will then modify the NY order so you will now be paying through NY and it will go directly to your daughter as long as she is on public assistance or until age 21.

What you will have to pay will be determined by the judge.

At least that's how I read the law.

Nov 29, 2008, 08:28 PM
    So I should just bring proof that I'm paying in NH and the case will be transferred back to NY with modifications if necessary? But, should I still file an order of emancipation on my daughter?
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 08:46 PM

You should invest in a consultation with a NY attorney at a minimum.

You asked about emancipation? In every state I've ever heard of 18 is already emancipated, so what are you talking about? She IS an adult. So the only question is whether she's still entitled to child support and if so for how long.

If you were in California it would be all over. But you are in NY so check this out with someone who knows NY child support law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Child choosing custodial parent [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Alexandria VA. My question is, what is the age that a child can give consent that he may want to live with the other parent? I have heard 12 or is it 13 in VA? Please give me all of the information available to this request for VA.

Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for [ 5 Answers ]

Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

View more questions Search