Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geli07 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
    SS, Medicare & Statetaxes
    Actually I have two questions:

1) Reading a few other posts, I have noticed that a lot of people are talking about that while being on F1 and working under OPT, my employer is not supposed to withhold SS and Medicare. Is that correct or did I understand sth the wrong way. If, this is true, is there a way that I can claim a refund? And if so, what forms would I need to file?

2) I currently work in Arkansas, where we have to pay state taxes. I have lived here for some time now and I am not sure if I am considered to be an Arkansan resident. Do I, as a F1 holder have to file state taxes as well?

Thank you so much for your help!
    Angelika
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Angelika:

1) Yes, this is true. First, you need to ask your employer to refund the SS and Medicare taxes. If they refuse (and they probably will refuse), get the refusal in writing. You then need to file Form 843 with a variety of other documentation. Download IRS Pub 519 from www.irs.gov and read page 46 for the details.

2) If you earned income in Arkansas, then you probably need to pay Arkansas state income taxes.
    geli07 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 01:53 PM
    My employer and I were not aware of the fact that SS and Medicare can't be withheld from my income. If I can't get a refund through my employer, what does he need to state in the refusal. Does he have to state a reason? Is there a chance that he might get into trouble for withholding SS?
    Since we both were not aware that SS and Medicare cannot be withheld, how can we go from here (meaning my next paycheck?) Do I need to fill out a new W4? Or can he just stop withholding it? Is there anything he needs to do if he does not withhold it?

Also, is it correct that if I file the form 843, can I file the 1040NR-EZ or do I have to file 1040NR?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Geli07:

This error is rather common, so I suspect your employer will not get into trouble. Of course, it is likely he will not get his share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes back, either, so that is punishment enough. If he has not already done so, he should refund the taxes withheld so far in 2006 and stop withholding. I do not know if there is any other requirements.

Reason for refusal: money has already been sent to the IRS and cannot be recovered.

The filing of the Form 843 is a separate event which is mailed in a separate envelope. It has no bearing on whether you can file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Geli07:

Reason for refusal: money has already been sent to the IRS and cannot be recovered.

The filing of the Form 843 is a separate event which is mailed in a separate envelope. It has no bearing on whether you can file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
    How about the following:
    They can do adjustments into their FORM 941 for the quarter on line 7e.
    They can provide refund to the Emploee and claim tax credit with IRS on their next quarter return.
    They can Amend quarters even for previous years.
    Why do not you try that scenario.
    In most cases this work.

Atl.tax expert :What is your opinion about the scenario above?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Troj:

In most cases, the employer just does not want to bother doing this, since it would involve detailed recalculations by the firm's accountant. If he contracts such work out, the fee to amend 941s that far back could run in the 1000s of dollars. It's easier to say NO and let the employee request the refund.
    chenzfi_inc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
    According to a few posts, my understanding about 843 form is I can file this form first even I haven't filed other 1040 and 1040NR forms. Do I need any other documents besides a refusal letter from my employer?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 11:13 PM
    See page 46, IRS Pub 519 for a list of the documents needed to file Form 843 for refund of Social Security and Medicare taxes.
    manisha Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Atlanta tax expert,

I have a query on this. I heard that if you claim social security and medicare, you should not be claiming standard deduction, you should itemize your deduction? Is that true?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 10:53 PM
    Manisha:

Filing a claim for a refund of Social Security and Medicare on Form 843 really has nothing to do with claiming the standard deduction. It has to do with your visa status. In my opinion, you can file as a resident alien under the First Year Choice and still file Form 843.

Further, even if you file Form 1040NR, you may be allowed to claim the standard deduction if you are from India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid SS and Medicare while in F1 [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm very confused. I worked on my F1 (OPT) from June 15th - December 19th 2005 but my company deducted social security and medicare taxes (it's a small company and they didn't know any different). On December 19th I switched my status from F1 to H1b. Apparently I can claim a refund...

Medicare taxes during OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I entered on F1 in 1999 and started working at my current job in feb05 on OPT and my H1b which I recently got started on October 15, 05 Can I get the medicare taxes withheld from feb to oct 15? I haven't asked my employer this as I came to know of this recently. And I am also a bit...

F-1 OPT, SSN and Medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This forum is very informative. Thanks for the input of Atlanta Tax Expert! I arrived in US in 1999 and I am on F-1 OPT since Sept 2005. I've heard that people on F-1 OPT are exempted from SSN and Medicare taxes. However, my employer said that since I've stayed in US for more than 5...

SS/Medicare refund on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I entered US in August 2001. I was on my OPT (Student VISA) till Oct 2004 and then on my H1B. My Social Security and Medicare were deducted on my OPT . For my 2004 tax return I filed 1040A form. I used the software taxact and I did not realize that I have to file 1040NR. To get the...

J-1 --> H-1B taxes (SS and Medicare) [ 3 Answers ]

I get my H-1B visa last winter but after few mounths I notice that Payroll department did not deduct SS and Medicare from my wages. I talk to them and they started to deduct these taxes but after May 2005. Do I own SS and Medicare to IRS? DO I have to pay to my payroll dapartment dept. the...

View more questions Search