Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris the pom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
    Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off
    We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner is off the outside unit remains on continuously. It makes a quiet noise like a fridge/freezer and the fan is rotating very slowly. I'm guessing it might just be cooling itself down as it is currently the middle of summer where I live but would like to know if this is something to expect before calling out an engineer to inspect it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 07:02 PM

Contact the installer who installed this unit and have him come and look at it as it should still be under some sort of warranty. Don't try and fix it yourself or call out another party to look at it.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Are you sure the system is "off"? Some of the new inverter-driven systems actually modulate operation to match the load without really turning off. If you are setting the control to the "off" position and the unit continues to run, call your installer to address the problem.

Feb 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already called the installer this morning. He's mentioned to keep an eye on it and let him know during the week and he thinks it might just be part of the units cooling action. In the meantime, I've sent Panasonic an email to check and see if it is something that is particular to the type of machine itself and I'm made sure that there is nothing around the outside unit which might be blocking any airflow, in or out. I'll let you know how I go.

Feb 16, 2009, 08:09 PM

All seems sorted. I spoke directly with Panasonic who referred me to a service centre who I've just called. The service centre confirmed that the PC board in the outside unit is faulty and needs replacing and it looks like it might have been due to a batch of faulty machines as Panasonic had notified their service centres. All done. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner runs a lot [ 4 Answers ]

My central air conditioner has been running for over 3 hours and the temp outside is in the 90's but I have the thermostat set at 79 and the temp is going up instead of down. I went outside to see if the fan is blowing hot or cold and it isn't hot. I was told it was suppose to be hot air the fan on...

Air-Conditioner Compressor runs, No cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our Amana 8709088812 was working well. The cool air stopped but the compressor stayed on. We called a repair person and they replaced a fan. It worked for a short time and the same thing happened so they came back and replaced a second fan. They said there is a fan for intake and one for...

Air conditioner runs 8 hours without shutting off [ 22 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a new condo for my son. The condo is on the 16th floor (very top floor) and is 805 sq ft with open floor plan - kitchen, living room with wood floors, bedroom, and small bath. The windows face East. The walls and floors are concrete. The floor covering in the LR is...

Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display...

View more questions Search