Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cutie08 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Scared for high school
    I'm going to be a freshman next year and me and my friends are scared ****less does anyone have any advice on high school like what to do and what not to do for us. And are the freshman anything like do all the upper classmen just ignore us or do they hate us or something

Please help me out

Thanks
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Hun. Honesly I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I'm sure there's bound to be some mean people but I'm sure a lot of people will like you. When I was first entering high school I was worried about the same things as you are but once I got there I realized it wasn't so bad at all.. good luck with school
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 10, 2006, 10:24 AM
    No reason to be scared. Remember, everyone is going through the same thing you are.

As for the Juniors and Seniors, they remember their first day in high school too, so some of them are extremely helpful when it comes to things like being lost in a big new school.

Did you go from elementary school to middle school or junior high? Well, if you did, it is the same thing.

Remember all your friends will be there too. Think about how scared new people with no friends are going to be.

You will make it through the first day then look back on the second day and say that it was not that bad and probably laugh at yourself for being scared.

I know I did when I started college 2 years ago. I was afraid cause all the students were teenagers and I was 40. I thought people would laugh at me cause I was so "old." Funny thing was there were a lot of us older people there.

So, just remember, everyone there is going through the same thing you are. Just try to have fun and make new friends with someone who does not have a friend yet in your school.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2006, 06:00 PM
    I agree with what the others have said.

There is no need to be worried.

You are nervous, which is understandable.

Will the older kids be mean to you? NO

Will they ignore you? Some might, but that is not because they are mean, just because they have their own things going on.

You will know a lot of people in your grade (your friends), plus you will meet new people.
    gonex3away Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Well I'm a junior in high school and I can tell you that it is a lot different then jr high.. people don't focus so much on clicks people just focus on if you are nice and a good person.. you'll find some good friends and probably stick with them for awhile but don't get caught up in doing what everyone else is doing b.c u don't want to start using drugs or anything remember to stay your own person and be you no one else
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Aug 17, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Most of your classes will be with your own grade level... so don't worry too much. If you join a sport, you will be with all grade levels and eventually meet new people... you will get to know some upper classmen, and meet new underclassmen... look at it as a new experience... I had the best time of my life in HS... and I was really shy... but I had fun! Don't worry... let us know how is goes!
    mkbishop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
    You will always be "scared" in life when you are faced with a new and unfamiliar situation. The seniors will have too much to worry about to be bothered wasting time hating or hassling you. They will have senioritis, be worried about college essay exams, and requirements, and they're so ready to be done that your existence won't matter that much. Many juniors may be the same way. They probably have better things to do than make your life miserable. I might say watch out for the sophomores, but chances are as long as you are nice and friendly to everybody and you don't participate in gossip or other social faux paus you will make friends and will come out unscathed. Try to get involved in at least one sport, club, or school activity; you will make friends and you'll have something to do besides homework. Try to get on the goodside of at least one teacher. It may not seem like it, but having a teacher who thinks you're a good kid can help you out in ways you might not even think of. Also, remember if you need help or advice your teachers and your guidance department are always there to help you.

--From a High school teacher.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Hey, I am a little scared right now. I just finished all of my prerequisite courses for nursing school. That was at one college campus. And I am about to begin nursing school at another campus.

This will be very new to me, and very challenging, but I have to remember that I did this when I went from junior high to high, now from one campus to another.

You have gone from elementary to junior high (most likely) and now to high school. You got through it before, you can do it again.
    britster Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Don't be scared.. I remember my first day of high school I was mortified however after the first day I was like what was I afraid of. You have your friends by your side and before you know it your going to be a senior so enjoy your high school years because they are by far the best you will ever experience.
    Goodluck on your first day of school
    Britster
    lawlier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 12:07 AM
    lol I love high school!! Lots of new people to meet, and hey just keep calm and things will be fine. Pretend its like middle school or elementary but with bigger kids ^-^
    Kellie_h20 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2008, 07:53 AM
    RELAX! Next year will be my senior year in High School! It is just like middle school but better! My best advice will be to get involved with as many extra-curricular activities you can and make sure you study and do all of your work! I spent my first two years of High School slacking off and I am paying for it now! Don't worry High School will be one of the best experiences in your life so far! SO RELAX and have fun! :D
    spectrumqueen23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cutie08
    im going to be a freshman next year and me and my friends are scared ****less does anyone have any advice on high school like what to do and what not to do for us. and are the freshman anything like do all the upper classmen just ignore us or do they hate us or something

please help me out

thanks
    Hey don't worry, high school isn't what people make it out to be, just be yourself and you'll do just fine, don't be a follower be your own person, and when you've got good friends to help you through that first day you'll be fine
    volta-rewind Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Honestly, don't even worry about it.
    High school really isn't all that different which you'll soon find that out.
    The only changes that I noticed is that over time I became a lot mature.
    The school work is a bit more challenging, but if you focus, do your homework, and just have fun you'll do just fine. :)
    lollipop23889 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
    I'm a freshman now, and actually it's not that bad. The first few weeks, the upperclassmen don't really like you, but that goes away. I actually ended up dating a junior this year. It's really not that bad, don't worry. Just keep a low profile. The upperclassmen tend to hate the kids that think they're awesome and better than them. And always remember: you're a freshman. You have absolutely no right of way or authority over upperclassmen.
    sammyx69 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2008, 03:06 AM
    Hey hun no need to be worried, I just graduated from high school this past May and to let you know most of my friends were freshmen, remember your classes will probably have kids in the same grade as you. And who knows you might meet up with some friends from your old school.

Thing is ignore what people say about you and just focus on you. Like all places there's always going to be one or two or maybe more people who are mean but, then again there's a lot of people who are nice and willing to help you around.

Specially the older students, they once were freshmen and went through the same process as your going through, just remember, make high school years fun and unforgettable.

Have fun hope you have a blast! :)
    glitersparks100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
    ... Well, I'm going to be a freshmen in 2 weeks! and I'm scared less! I try to make the best of it and pretend it's just like middle school or something. Well the good thing is I have my big brother, he's going to be a senior next year, so maybe he'll help me around. For sure I know my brother he doesn't really like helping me, but well it comes to your little sis why not?

**SO ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED Their FIRST DAY OG HS HELP ME***
    glitersparks100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
    High school
    Hey hey hey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

High School Sweetheart 17yrs. Later [ 15 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. Here's my situation: A year and a half ago my high school sweetheart emailed me out of the blue. I'm trying to figure out where things are going, good or bad, I'm often confused by the situation. Here's background: We dated for 2-3 years in...

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

Anyone from golden west high school? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am from golden west high school and I was wondering if anyone here is from this high school. Just who ever is from golden west high school post here, or even people from any visalia schools.

High school interns [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search