Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryno71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Leaky Shower Bad Grout or Leaky Shower Pan
    I recently bought a townhouse that had the upstairs bathroom redone completely with a walk it tile shower. I have been there a year and recently noticed that the grout is slightly cracked around the base (floor and walls). I have also noticed mold that I have sprayed in the grout (Since leaving the door open after each shower got that under control). My question is I recently took a shower last week and had water seep down through a light unto the floor below (half a cup). Do I assume its

A leaky shower pan?

Should I regrout/reseal the grout between the floor and the wall. I have heard that mildew remover weakens grout is this true? And could I have weekend the grout by using this?

Or should I check the drain first then the shower pan?

If I do have to change the shower pan is there a way to save the tile (not sure if I can get replacement)

Thanks
    Ryan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Hi Ryan,

Let's find out where the leak's hiding. We'll check the drain and pan first.
    Remove the strainer, TIP: put the screws in the soap dish. They will be difficult to replace if they go down the drain.
    Now take wet rags an put then in a baggie and jam them in the drain to seal it off. Tonight before you go to bed fill the shower floor with a inch or so with water and mark the level. Next morning look for moisture or a lowered water level. Let me know what you find and we'll move on to the next test.
    I haven't heard that mildew remover will weaken tile grout but I do know that over time tile grout will shrink allowing water to leak pastthe top of the shower pan. Regards, Tom

Apr 1, 2007, 10:43 AM
    I tried two of the tests; pouring 2 gallons directly down the drain and then plugged up the drain and filled it with water. I left it in there for a day and a half. Its gone down by about 1/2 inch, but no water marks still. I have read come of the other posts and some water going through the tiles/grout is normal right?

Two things I did notice when I took the plate off the drain. There was a lot of gunk in there. It also appears that the grout around the drain (putting your figures in there) is loose.

Thanks
    Ryan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Hey Ryan,

If the pan and drain test came olut OK then note where the stream, hits the tile. Over time and wear tile grout will shrink allowing water to enter and leak past the lip of the shower pan and down into the ceiling. My advise would be to focus on the tile and regrout. Good luck, Tom

Apr 2, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Thanks for rthe help Tom

Ryan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky shower pan drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak that seems to be coming from the shower pan drain, all tile and grout seems intact. The leak at first looked likeit was coming frm the bottom of the trap, but I saw that it was water building around the joint from the vertical pipe (PVC) from the trap to the drain above. Any...

Leaky shower diverter [ 5 Answers ]

I had a kohler shower diverter installed about two years ago. It's the kind that you have to pull the plunger on the tub spout to activate the shower head. Water is now dripping from my tub spout. After removing all the decorative trim from the diverter, what's left is a stem mounted with two...

Leaky fiberglass shower [ 5 Answers ]

We remodeled our home recently and this included removing a tile shower and replacing it with a fiberglass shower which was on the second floor. The installation was done by a plumber. We noticed it leaking almost from the start. It drips into the room below down the ceiling fan only when my...

About testing to identify a leaky shower pan on the 2nd floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of identifying and looking for the possibility to fix a second floor shower leak. This is five-year-old single-family house. Several months ago, I happened to find some water markers on the ceiling when I laid down on the first floor for a break. These water markers are...

Leaky Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle shower. The brand is Kohler devonshire. It drips constantly. I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated Rich

View more questions Search