Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Best surge arrestor for residential main
    What is considered the best type of surge arrestor for residential main protection and related let-through rating?

Tx, nmwirez
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Probably the best available and reasonable for a low exposure risk such as residential would be Leviton. These would be available only at electrical distributors.

Review their Surge Protection catalog at:
    Site:&nbsp PDF Library Home

A medium level product would be by American Power Conversion:
    Panelmount Surge Protection Device, 120/240V, 40kA/ph

A high end unit, probably too costly for residential would be Liebert:
    http://www.liebert.com/assets/produc...t/sl_22034.pdf

One thing to consider is even thou the panel may be in a home, is how close is the home to any commercial or industrial businesses. If your close to a factory of any size, or a large supermarket, then a medium size unit may be recommended, as the likelihood of larger surges or transients is greater than if the home is in a suburb or rural location.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nmwirez
    What is considered the best type of surge arrestor for residential main protection and related let-through rating?

Tx, nmwirez
    Thanks tk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Main breaker and main disconnect [ 2 Answers ]

What I have is a home built in 1960 moved in 2 years it had a meter hanging from the rear of house with no main, 240v 50amp circuit to stove, 240 30amp to dryer, 5 breakers for the rest of house 1 20amp and 4 15amp. What my plan is to replace the meter housing and put a g.e. 200amp Disconnect on...

LH Surge, confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I did ovulation test and had 2 purple lines, great! The tested again next day and it faded, then the next day and it was gone. OK I know that's right, but what is weird is that after 7days I tested again out of sheer suriousity and I had 2 purple lines again. Then next day and day after if was...

TV power surge [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: We had a wiring mishap... and our TV was connected to a 240 volt circuit. The resulting power surge seems to have fried the TV as it will not turn on... The receiver blew smoke out, but the VCR still works... Is there any help for the TV (internal fuse,reset?)? All 3 were connected. Thanks

View more questions Search