Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YJKARIES Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 07:08 AM
    How to feed a sick dog with no appetite?
    My poor Rosie was just released from the hospital suffering from HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) that we all suspect was brought on by Rimadyl that was prescribed for her arthritis. It came on so suddenly that I had to rush her to the hospital. She's home now, weak, on medication and unfortunately and understandably has absolutely no interest in food whatsover. Vet said to give her bland diet... I have tried everything... ground beef w/rice, boiled & shredded chicken with rice, oatmeal... I got her to eat a few tablespoons of this by literally forcing her (spoon in mouth... she had no choice but to swallow).

Can anyone offer advice on feeding her... what to feed her... should I just wait and she will eat when she is up to it? Luckily before her illness she was a bit overweight but I feel for healing and energy she must eat something :( I am distraught.

Thanks. :confused: :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 14, 2005, 07:32 PM
    I would keep offering her the bland food for another day or 2, boiled chicken and rice are great to soothe a mistreated digestion. If she still isn't eating, try stuff like cheese or hot dogs. I am very reluctant to let a dog start on things like that. It can take enormous will power on your part to get her back to a healthy diet again. As soon as possible, I would get her on a dry chow. I am not a big fan of all the specialty dog chows available, but among the 50 different types, you should be able to find a weight loss formula for mature dogs. It will help her arthritis if you get her down to a good lean weight. To help you judge how much she should weigh, see http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. Your vet will be happy to confirm your judgment about her weight.

I have had dogs that wouldn't eat. I once had a Shepherd go 3 days on only a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. Most of my dogs are more like the one pictured here, http://www.photolocker.net/images/La...theproplan.jpg. I think Labs think they need the build of a seal to resist cold water.
    YJKARIES Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2005, 07:52 PM
    Well, reluctantly, gave her a slice of cheese... she ate it... Then we had chicken for dinner, took some white meat, shredded and hand fed her... she ate a little over an ounce I guess so I am keeping fingers crossed that her appetite is coming back... slowly. I also bought baby food meat in jar that my friend used to nurse her sick pup... I will try that in the morning. Thank you!
    nutronman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 08:32 AM
    You might want to try the dog food made by "Ceasar"
    They come in small packages, all different flavors, try it, if it works you can ween her/him off it after they are all better.
    Loriz Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 02:30 PM
    If your Dog isn't eating there's a reason. Don't worry, when she's/he'e ready he/she will. The main thing you want to watch for is dehydration so make sure your dog is getting water. If it won't drink, just spoon some in it's mouth occasionally.
    Get well soon Doggie!

Loriz :)
    Nonnahs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 06:32 PM
    Hge
    Does anyone have a dog that has had HGE? If so, what were the symptoms?
    Kaotica14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Hge
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonnahs
    Does anyone have a dog that has had HGE? If so, what were the symptoms?
    I just went throuught HGE treatment with my yorkie. The symptoms that you will notice are vomiting and diarriah with blood and lethargy. If you notice these it is vital you get your dog to your vet a.s.a.p. if treatment is not begun the dogs survival rate will not be good. The vet will put the dog on IV fliuds and may keep them on them for 12 to 48 hours depending on the case. If not treated the dogs blood will thicken to the point it will clot and kill the dog. If treatment it received the dog will recover and should be fine.
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Jul 31, 2005, 04:23 PM
    Wait it out
    My advice to you is to wait a few days. As long as she is drinking plenty of water, she is okay. Dogs can go a few days without eating for a number of reasons like heat, stress, or a little tummy upset. I assume she has a check-up from her procedure, ask the vet then.
    50074326 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
    You dog will be okay as I work in a vetinary clinic and I know everything there is to know, you dog just needs TLC and plenty of exercise and the food shoould be meat as it helps the dogs muscles.. well I think... and believe it or not I'm only 17;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 50074326 View Post
    You dog will be okay as i work in a vetinary clinic and i know everything there is to know, you dog just needs TLC and plenty of exercise and the food shoould be meat as it helps the dogs muscles..well i think.......and belive it or not im only 17;)
    This post was started in 2005, the OP has not come back since then. Please read the rules and regulations of the site, restarting an old thread is against the rules. It's fine to look at old posts for info, but posting on them bumps them up to the top and is confusing.

Thank you.
    Glylilyoung Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Don't feed him hard foods, or something that's hard to digest.
    Cheese causes gas for some dogs, and you wouldn't want him to bloat right after a surgery.
    I fed my dog scrambled eggs, with no oil, try to cut out the oil if you can, if not, just put enough.
    The egg should be welldone.
    Because the eggs are easy to digest and have lots of nutirents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

Extending spa feed [ 2 Answers ]

I have existing 220v wiring (outdoors) for a spa that I want to extend another 15 ft. in order to hide the panel from view. Do I have to re-wire the run, or can I just extend it with a junction box and another 15 ft. of cable/wire? I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance...

Pregnancy: appetite and itching [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to ask that if your appettite increases within a matter of days/weeks, or if your breasts constantly itch, can that be a symptom of pregnancy?

Loss of appetite [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 y/o Dalmatian has recently stopped eating her food. She drinks a lot of water. She has been eating cat droppings from a litter box and I recently gave her a dewormer. Could she have an upset stomach from the cat's poop and litter or is there something more wrong?

Kitten trying to feed still. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my cat had kittens on 18th June, 3 have left and I've kept one, she is fully weaned,eating nicely,mother has been spayed and is all dried up of milk, yet I have noticed the kittens still trying to suckle and the mother is letting her even though there is nothing coming out, is this normal, was...

View more questions Search